white spot treatment

angee_888

I have had 7tetras 6 guppies and one shark die due to white spot (well im positive it is white spot) I have added wunder tonic to the water yesterday but am wonder I have an aqua one filter am I ment to take the carbon out and just leave the sponge in? I have put the temp of the tank up today one shark died and one sucker fish any advise would be great I am new to this :-D

What are your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate levels?

I would do a big water change (75%).

White Spot

White Spot or 'Ich' is a protozoan parasite that attaches itself to fish. The parasite goes through several stages over about 10-15 days (temperature dependent), including a free-swimming stage that can rapidly infect other fish. It is probably the most common freshwater disease and often results from shipping stress weakening the fish.

The visible stage of Whitespot looks like grains of salt stuck to the outside of the fish. It can appear anywhere on the fish but often attaches to fins and gill plates.

What causes it:

White Spot is invariably caused by poor water conditions in combination with stress - it is a sign the the fish's immune system is failing, allowing the parasite to take hold. As certain stages of the parasite cannot live in water above 28 degrees, it should be less of a problem in a Discus tank as the water should be already be that warm.

What to do:

As it is often caused by poor water, test the aquarium water to determine if filters etc are operating correctly. Do a large water change. Raise the temperature to 30 degrees, but make sure that there is adequate water motion to maintain good oxygen levels in the water (as the temperature of water rises, it holds less and less oxygen) - often you will need to add an airstone.

There are several White Spot remedies available, most of which are organo-toxins that work by killing the free-swimming stage of the parasite. As Whitespot eggs can hatch out over a long period of time, most treatments take at least a week in order to break the lifecycle of the parasite - follow the instructions on the product and DO NOT OVERDOSE.

I personally prefer Methalene Blue based remedies, especially for community tanks, because the alternative Malachite Green formulations have more side effects and can kill certain species of fish very quickly.

Taken from this thread

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32910

Hope this helps

Yes the sucker fish i have is the bristlenose pleco i have one left. all fish are still alive this morning and look like they are improving ie moving around the tank abit more. thanks for the replies i have taken the carbon out and will put it back in (maybe new carbon) in a week.