floating axolotyl

Hi everyone very new on here I have an axolotyl which in the last few days has started floating upside down and his belly is huge sticking out of the water. Im hoping hes just bloated and will get better soon but any helpful handy tips would be much appreciated. I have withheld food for 4 days and if I flip him over onto his belly he burps. He has just started pooping in the last 24 hours, im hoping it means hes getting better. Iv had him for about a year and hes never floated like this before he usually on patrol at the bottom of the tank

You can put the axy in some tank water in a plastic container in the fridge, this will slow its metabolism down and give a chance to pass the blockage or expel all the gas it has in it. Do not feed until it is no longer floating, I have had one in the fridge for 2 months before.

sorry to come in that late, haven't seen this thread before. how is your Axolotl doing ?

the fridge is a good place for your Axolotl right now although it shouldn't be too cold. take two food save plastic container with a good lid. put only as much water in one so your Axolotl will not float or turn around on his back. don't feed him at all for now. assuming its a clear plastic container also cover or wrap a towel around the plastic container so your Axolotl does not get a heart attack each time you are opening the fridge. keep enough fresh water in a bottle for a daily water change (keep the water in the fridge so it has the same temperature). try to do the water change daily as there are lots of bacteria in and around your Axolotl at the moment. fill the 2nd plastic container as described above and put your Axolotl in and back in to the fridge (try to touch your Axolotl as little as possible, always clean your hands first and only touch it with wet hands). then thoroughly clean the been used plastic container with cold water and no soap or detergent. it is recommended to use a new sponge, one who hasn't been used with soap or detergent before. you could also slightly salt the water with iodine free table salt. the ratio is a tee spoon to 10 litre of water.

some questions I would like you to answer.

- what is the water temperature in your Axolotl tank ?

- how many Axolotl do you keep together in the tank ?

- do you keep fish or other animals with your Axolotl(s) ?

- what have you been feeding your Axolotl ?

would it be possible for you to take a picture of your Axolotl and post it here to see ? (or you can email it to me if that is easier)