Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Conditioning female betta

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

In the past my betta breeding has been a bit of hit and miss but this time I want it to go as right as possible.

I have a female from my last spawning - Pinky (pink and blue multicolour) - that I want to breed from. Don't have a male yet but I saw a REALLY nice solid royal blue yesterday.

How should I condition Pinky? I have access to safe, clean daphnia, is that a good to give her?

I am setting up an infusoria cluture today to see if it works, previously the fry were just in a really large tank with natural infusoria - but as I said, this time I wanna do it right.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks heaps,

Ian :0D

in Taranaki

Dim lighting and Barry White CDs :lol:

Oh, and lots of live foods. The daphnia will be good. Keep her away from the male until you are ready to breed them. If they can be in a divided tank (once you get a male), so they can see but not touch for a while, it will help too.

Hitchi2000 you will know your female is ready when the ovel duct is boulging, it looks like a white eggs is hanging out but its just the vent. :oops:

water fleas are great for bettas but do feed other foods too, frozen blood worms , mozzy rigglers and bbs are all good conditioners. :wink:

she will become ready quickly if there is food in front of her from lights on through till lights out.this is why live food can really pay off. :hail:

Are you a member of a club and fnzas, if you are there is a video by Bill Hodges I think , it's been a while . any way he breed bettas by the hundred all differant colours . I found it very informative and you could see what HE did.

  • Author

Had the Barry White and candles already setup, LOL.

Started Pinky on daphnia the other day and added some mozzy wrigglers to her diet.

She has hardly touched her second lot of daphnia from yesterday, actually surprised they are still alive as they usually die off over nite (or so I have found). She did however take a nice big wriggler this morning.

And she has her duct thingee hangin out already! I still don't have a male, wasn't able to get to the store this weekend so Pinky will have to wait a couple more days til I can.

Of course if she is anything like her aunty she will build a bubblenest and lay eggs all by herself. Has anyone else noticed solo females doing this?

Take care,

Ian :0D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.