Size of Fish

christian

Hey guys just thought I'd post quickly on here as I'm still shocked at the size of the fish the pet shops are selling. I got my father to call into a well know store in Auckland to get some female Kribensis when he got them to me they were so small it wasn't funny. not only that one arrived dead. which I mainly blame on stress as it was like a baby, as it was in a poly box to keep them warm. I wish the stores would start getting better quality fish. What does everyone else think ?

The fish that are sold in shops are the size that they get them off the importers at.

Whether or not a person chooses to purchase at a small size and grow on is up to the buyer. I for one would rather purchase smaller and grow on as I then know that for the majority of the fishes life that they have had high quality food and good water conditions.

If you are concerned about the size of fish being sold in the shop, have a talk to them :)

Moving fish anywhere around the country at this time of year is risky too - was there a working heat pack in the polybox?

I doubt tiny kribs would be imported, I think more likely is they were bred, either intentionally or unintentionally, by a hobbyist somewhere and dumped in the LFS as soon as possible because they didn't have the tankspace to grow them out, or wanted to make a quick buck as soon as possible.

Aside from the issues around moving fish of that size, there are other issues like quality control that come from not growing fish out to a decent size. Wth generation after generation of parents randomly selected from large groups of tiny fry its no wonder fish like convicts and kribs are de-evolving.

I don't like buying fish that are to small. As you never know if they are young or just haven't had a good start to life and stunted.

I brought some peppered cats not long ago from the same place again 2 died within a day and 2 are still alive. I was told they were imported and they were tiny but that was my choice I wanted to breed some peppered cats, Ive been feeding them lots of good foods water changes etc and they Have hardly grown. makes me wonder if these have also had a slow start to life. As for the Krib's I didn't get them myself I had someone get them for me becuase they were going past and I needed some female Krib's as I have 4 huge males already.

Hey guys just thought I'd post quickly on here as I'm still shocked at the size of the fish the pet shops are selling. I got my father to call into a well know store in Auckland to get some female Kribensis when he got them to me they were so small it wasn't funny. not only that one arrived dead. which I mainly blame on stress as it was like a baby, as it was in a poly box to keep them warm. I wish the stores would start getting better quality fish. What does everyone else think ?

How tiny is so small it wasn't funny? It'd be nice to see relatively mature fish(And good looking) sold in shops, but that's obviously very rare.

cheers for that discusguru. Yes adrienne cory's and the size i'm talking about on the krib's the female i got would be about 3cm long the male I've got would easily be 8 to 9 cm.

I don't wont to cause a debate about it, I was just concerned really. I know its all about numbers for the big fish shops. But when a tiny Krib as small as that cost $14.90 each I was rather gutted at the size when it turned up. And for one to end up dead pissed me off. I guess the moral of the story is if you want decent fish. Buy them yourself and don't let others do it on your behalf lol ..... Thought my dad would have known better as him and a few other were the first to start up the wairarpa club when it was going back when the dinosaurs were still walking the earth hehe .