Expertise needed!

csbudd

Hello all, my name is Chris and recently I purchased my first fish tank. It sounds daft, but it has been a lifelong ambition after being mesmerised by the fish tank in my doctors surgery as a child. It is a second hand 20 litre Blue Water tank with a three stage filter (bioballs; nylon wool; ceramic rings) and aeration.

I cycled the tank for four days with StressCoat and Stress Zyme, and achieved a pH of 7.3 before adding five neon tetras. A week later I added two pigmy corydoras and a betta. All appeared to be going well for a couple of weeks (albeit I suspect I may have been overfeeding), but then I noticed my betta appeared to be struggling to breath. I ran a two stage ammonia test and found a level of 4ppm. I added AmmoBlock, an ammonia removing filter media, and have been changing 30% of the water each day being careful to match the temperature of the new water with my tank which is at 26 degrees.

All of the fish other than the betta appear fine, but for the past few days he has been lying on his side, is not eating, and continues to appear to be struggling to breath. The ammonia level is currently at 1ppm. Any advice would be gratefully received, but specifically I am interested in:

1) Ways to keep the ammonia under control in a new tank given what I have done to date.

2) Whether my betta is likely to recover, at what point I should consider euthanasing him, and if I do this how to do so humanely?

3) How long each day I should run the light and aerator

I am enjoying the hobby immensely, but the learning curve is steep, and I am obviously sad to watch my first ever betta suffer!

In my opinion a cycle time of 4 days is far too short. That together with potential overfeeding is the cause of the high ammonia.

Any detectable ammonia will be detrimental to your fish. All you can do now is keep up the water changes. Feed absolutely minimum and hope your fighter makes it.

In terms of ending the fish's life I would just wait and see if it dies. Sometimes fish can look in a really poor state and still make it.

Do waterchanges. You tank hasn't cycled. You have pretty much the worst situation. Tiny tank, uncycled along with (probably)newbie massice overfeeding. Cut the feeding way back, do daily water changes. It should come right in a few weeks.

And my preference for euthanasia of tropicals is to put them in a bowl of water in the freezer. The just slow down and stop. Easiwr than finding clove oil or chopping their head off or slamming them on concrete.

Keep water changing - water change twice a day if needed when the ammonia reading is that high. I don't know ammoblock - I know of ammo lock which turns the ammonia in to a non toxic form. It is still there, just not lethal.

Regarding the beta - it may recover but often ammonia does irreparable damage and in this case I suspect the labyrinth has been burnt along with the gills.

Keep the aerator running 24/7 while there is ammonia in the tank as ammonia reduces oxygen in the water. Then its up to you (I assume the aerator is not connected to your filter) but most people either have it on all the time or don't have one at all.

It will take around 3-4 weeks for the nitrogen cycle to complete i.e. for your filter to build up enough beneficial bacteria to deal to the toxic waste produced in the tank.

All good advice.

Next step find a person withh a healthy aquarium in your area. Take a fish bucket along to theirs. Syphon water into the bucket and rinse their filter media in the bucket.

This seeded water can be placed into your tank speeding up the process drastically.

Lots of testing, water changes and minimal feeding for 3 weeks.

Good luck and welcome to the stressful, rewarding and exciting world of fishkeeping

• 1 month later...
Are there any algae eating fish I can introduce to a tank my size?

Not really.

Also, do my Corys eat algae?

Not really.

Finally, is there anytging I can do with chemicals or filter media to help?

Some plants and not overfeeding is about it.