Kickstart cycling process

junglejim

You don't need to add any biological supplement to kick start the process. A shrimp will work just make sure you keep it in a filter sock or even some nylon stockings so it doesn't break down and make a mess. Another better option is getting some pure ammonia from a chemist or a hardware supply store and using that. That way you can control what levels of ammonia you need to get your live rock upto peak biological filtration condition from the start.

Just remember once it has cycled you still need to feed the bacteria else it will die off.

Where did you get the mussel? If its from NZ then I wouldn't think it would last long in tropical temperatures..... It filter feeds phytoplankton so make sure it has good flow. I would recommend trying to find some filter feeder food for it if you plan on keeping him long term. Although, considering he will quite probably die because of the temperature it might not be worth the effort and you should just return him to the ocean.....

Where did you get the mussel? If its from NZ then I wouldn't think it would last long in tropical temperatures..... It filter feeds phytoplankton so make sure it has good flow. I would recommend trying to find some filter feeder food for it if you plan on keeping him long term. Although, considering he will quite probably die because of the temperature it might not be worth the effort and you should just return him to the ocean.....

Depends on where he got him from.

Invertebrates from the rock pools can be easily acclimated to tropical temperatures (I have cats eye snails, ghost shrimp, hermit crabs and starfish in my tank, all local). They may have a shorter life span, it is not really known as far as I'm aware, but they won't necessary die easily.

However if the mussel is from deeper water he may indeed struggle.

Also note that once a native animal has been removed from its habitat and placed into an aquarium, it is illegal to put it back due to potential contamination of any diseases/parasites/etc that may be present. This is true regardless of the tank's age. If you want to follow the letter of the law, the mussel has to be disposed of and not put back into the sea.

I hear you should kickstart the cycling process with a dead shrimp or something to kick off the amonia. Is this correct or a myth?

Thanks

It's definitely not a myth, shrimp is the best thing to kickstart a cycle as it is the type of food that the bacteria will become accustomed to eating. Basically the decomposition of the shrimp is allowing formation of ammonia, to start your ammonia-nitrite-nitrate nitrogen cycle.

I used freshwater Nutrafin Cycle. I don't know if it helped, but I can't see why it would do any harm. Freshwater and marine bacteria are different, so probably the only thing it will do is give more food to your marine bacteria once the freshwater ones dies off.

Also mussels are difficult to keep alive for a beginner, even moreso on a completely uncycled tank. I wouldn't bother with it.

Once the cycle is on its way, you could catch a few fish from the rock pools to put in your tank and keep generating food for the bacteria. Although note as before they need to be disposed of after you have finished with them.

Lol, Amonia now sky high. Darkest of the colours on test strip.

Should I take all the mussels out now? I left one in too keep the process going. Do you think I still need it in?

Cheers

I would think its probably best to take it out now, but for someone to back me up before you do. Once the tank has cleared up, do another test. Once ammonia is back down to 0, and all your other specs are right, you should be ready to add your first fish :D

I would think its probably best to take it out now, but for someone to back me up before you do. Once the tank has cleared up, do another test. Once ammonia is back down to 0, and all your other specs are right, you should be ready to add your first fish :D

Nooooo, just because ammonia goes down to 0 doesn't mean you're ready. You also need no nitrite, and you need your bacteria to be at a level to handle the bioload from the fish (is immediately convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate).

Marine are much less intolerant to poor conditions than fresh water, you need to keep feeding your tank ammonia and ensuring ammonia stays at 0 before adding fish.

Generally for a seeded tank (ie has live rock in) you are looking at 4-6 weeks, for dead rock 2-3 months. You will also need to do larger water changes at first to combat the nitrate produced, until your denitrifying bacteria are established (nitrate to nitrogen).

Definitely take mussels out, you only need a couple pieces of frozen shrimp really. Mussels would be extremely overkill for ammonia.

You can get rid of the fishy smell by either doing a 100% water change, or chuck a bag of decent activated carbon in.