Chillers expensive to run?

junglejim

Chiller prices depend on the size you get. Cost to run depends on unit size, the temperature you have them set at and how often they have to come on to keep your tank at the required temperature and also what power company you use.

Marine (any sort of marine) keeping is not cheap but if you are going to do it, it needs to be done properly to stop the creatures suffering.

I have a hailea - I struggled for months to find one as the wholesalers were out of stock over Christmas/summer time and as a result the rock I was trying to cycle was sitting in water with a temp of 32 degrees, in my garage which is the coldest part of my house.

Hi guys,

Was trying to avoid a chiller but for sea horses it looks like I may not be able to. Does anyone know of a good price chiller and more importantly, what do these things cost to run?

Thanks

Plug your specs into this calculator: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/HeaterChillerSizing.php

Should give you an approximate minimum cooling required. For example, my tank(1200X600X600) to keep it at 16-19° would require a minimum of 1350 BTU/H cooling.

Here's a spec chart for a "Aqua Euro USA Max Chill Aquarium Chiller" off Marinedepot.

aquaeuro_chiller_chart.jpg

So the 1/10th HP would be barely enough that's 74 watts of electricity for 430 watts cooling.

That would probably be running relatively constantly and cost about $15/month. These specs are probably at small temperature differentials so you'll probably not get that much cooling.

Better to go to the next one up, the 1/4 HP. That uses 186 watts and cools 937 watts. The total cooling is the same which means this one will run less frequently. In addition you'll have large coils radiating the heat so may even get slightly more efficiency. But probably around the same $15/month.