is it ok to keep blue tounges on pine pellets

miffif

Possibly ok. see what others say.

would be careful to avoid the skinks smearing food on it then later having a munch ... goes for most substrates.

Aspen? they like to burrow into something. seen people use bark also. artificial turf is good too .. plus hide with something for them to burrow into.

I use turf + aspen in hide. Think it's safe? :D

Got my last lot off trademe.

• 3 weeks later...
im just wanting to know is it ok to keep blue tounges on pine pellets if not whats a good substrate to keep then on

Hi

I use astro turf ...

I like the grey colour best and then put place from them to hide ...

Very easy to keep clean ....

The ones out side have sand in there encloses ( 2m by 2m by 2m ) and well planted with grass and place to hide .

• 2 months later...
I started using newspaper :D and aspen .. just to hibernate on for now and they seem content.

I found this (extremely long) care sheet online, and being no expert myself, I am interested to get your take on it (although I am not suggesting you read it all unless you have some time up your sleeve). About 1/3 of the way down it talks about substrates and recommends strongly against newspaper, along with some photo's of blue tongues with black feet. I would love to use newspaper, when I was a kid we used newspaper in the bottom of our mouse tank and it was so absorbent, do blue tongues need absorbent substrate? Have you used newspaper before successfully?

I started using newspaper :D and aspen .. just to hibernate on for now and they seem content.

Was just for them to hibernate. Not much walking and is covered in aspen that they dug into for the past few weeks. So not exactly in much contact with it as such. I would be weary using it permanently and or when they are awake as yes the ink seems to rub off. I know as use to use in packaging and hands got black fast.

Absorbent .. yeah sort of. Either way the stinks are best kept outdoors in my opinion. :bggrn:

Can use astro turf with paper underneath i guess. And cut two bits of turf. Take one outside and blast clean with a hose every week or so. Having two means you can leave one to dry etc.