Egg crate substitute...

Bananalobster

Hi there,

I am setting up a 4ft mbuna tank that I'm planning on putting a lot of large heavy rocks in. The problem I'm having is deciding what to use to protect the bottom of the tank from pressure points and rock falls. I had some eggcrate type plastic that is used for keeping pebbles etc on pathways but it is 8cm thick and I don't want to make my sand substrate this deep.

I was in bunnings the other day and saw some large tiles and was wondering if there are any down sides of using them on the bottom of the tank to help displace some of the rocks weight over a larger area... Any thoughts?

Hi there,

I am setting up a 4ft mbuna tank that I'm planning on putting a lot of large heavy rocks in. The problem I'm having is deciding what to use to protect the bottom of the tank from pressure points and rock falls. I had some eggcrate type plastic that is used for keeping pebbles etc on pathways but it is 8cm thick and I don't want to make my sand substrate this deep.

I was in bunnings the other day and saw some large tiles and was wondering if there are any down sides of using them on the bottom of the tank to help displace some of the rocks weight over a larger area... Any thoughts?

I've always used undergravel filter plates. Seems to be millions of them around.

Yikes never mind, I would have to buy about 5-6 of them which would end up being $60+ Just for plastic plates lol

I've never bought one, most longtime fishkeepers have stacks of them piled in the shed somewhere. :)