how do i clean my external filters please

aaron11

Hi one is an aqua one 1200

and the other one is a sun sun

The aqua one has all the trays with the filter wood etc

So i know I break it down and wash the stuff in tank water

I want to know do I take the hoses off how do I remove it from the tank without making a mess.

AND with the sun sun do I put the filter wool in the top???? (when i got it I didnt put much in so I have some more to add)

Advice please

PS they are great my fish are so much better since using these filters

Cheers

I clean my canisters about every eight weeks by rinsing them under the tap, I've done so for about eight years I guess with out an issue.

I have aqua one canisters, don't know anything about the sun sun ones the house unscrew from the to, I leave them in and only clean the canister itself

For the cf1200 you turn it off at the wall and then turn the taps off. Unlatch the top off the filter and then your free to access the trays. I usually rinse the sponges out with aquarium water because the water supply to my house is heavily chlorinated which would give the bacteria a bit of grief. I don't touch the ceramic noodles or bio balls. All you should be trying to achieve is getting better flow through the filter.

When you are done put the top back on making sure the riser tube and gaskets are lined up. Turn the taps back on and because the siphon on the inlet tube didnt break the filter will self prime and your all done after flicking the switch at the wall.

Never done a sunsun

For the cf1200 you turn it off at the wall and then turn the taps off. Unlatch the top off the filter and then your free to access the trays. I usually rinse the sponges out with aquarium water because the water supply to my house is heavily chlorinated which would give the bacteria a bit of grief. I don't touch the ceramic noodles or bio balls. All you should be trying to achieve is getting better flow through the filter.

When you are done put the top back on making sure the riser tube and gaskets are lined up. Turn the taps back on and because the siphon on the inlet tube didnt break the filter will self prime and your all done after flicking the switch at the wall.

Never done a sunsun

+1

I clean mine every 3 months. Just do it at the same time as a water change, get a bucket full of tank water to clean the media and replace filter wool.

This is the best way so you're not shocking the bacteria with chlorine / sudden temp change.

Never done a sunsun

excellent thank you what is the riser tube??

thats easier than taking it out side like I did last time..

Excellent filter this cf1200 Adriene gave it to me, was ok until the cat landed on it and busted the taps AND FLOODED MY LOUNGE OMG WHAT A DRAMA

do you change your taps and seals etc every two years what about the wool pad??

Only change the taps and seals if they start to leak - its a waste of money if you do it and you don't need to. The white wool pad only needs changing when it becomes so gunked up that rinsing it still leaves it all stuck together. Cannister filters only require cleaning when the flow slows right down.

Only change the taps and seals if they start to leak - its a waste of money if you do it and you don't need to. The white wool pad only needs changing when it becomes so gunked up that rinsing it still leaves it all stuck together. Cannister filters only require cleaning when the flow slows right down.

Thanks adrienne. How much are the pads each?? :dnc1:

and I havent forgotten about that other thing too I will email you when I can do it cheers