EBJD not eating well/slow growth

Ismart120

Hi all

I've got an EBJD that is extremely shy and doesn't seem to be eating well. I've had him for about 6 months and while he doesn't seem thin, he's not growing very well (i.e fast) and I'd kinda like him to get fat. I've only seen him eat a few times (Bloodworms once when I first got him and a nibble here and there). Need some ideas on what to do to get him eating more

He has grown some what (maybe doubled in size in the time I've had him to maybe 12cm? so I know that he is eating at some point and seems healthy overall (Not lethargic as far as I can tell, no major bullying from others from what I've seen).

He is very shy and often hides in the driftwood. I've got a full grown female convict and a large male Sev in the tank (380litres) too (also others but no other cichlids); he's bigger than the con but not by much, has a few displays with the convict (He usually backs off and I've never seen any real contact) but mainly, doesn't come out at feeding time like everything else

Any ideas on what to do/try? Was hoping he'd bulk up a bit and that would solve a number of things but that hasn't eventuated.

Would some dither cichlids like Kribs help? (Or would they just have the snot beaten out of them?)

Have you tried food with garlic in it or the ..I think its seachem.. garlic guard liquid you can soak food in before feeding? Might get him more interested.

As far as the hiding goes I found the more hiding places my rams were supplied with the less time they spent hiding. Not sure if that will hold true with larger cichlids .

maybe doubled in size in the time I've had him to maybe 12cm?

So, he's grown about a cm/month? That's a pretty good growth rate. Faster than most of my fish ever do lately.

EBJD can be slow growers and easily put off by more agressive fish.

Mine I was a bit concerned that he might be a little timid, and when I got him he wasn't eating much.

Yeah...That's kind of reversed now that he's settled in and he spends the day hovering out in the open chasing away any fish that come to his half of the tank.

Awesome, thanks for the replies

Ira, how long did it take him to get settled in? He's still not comfortable staying in the open much,even though he's the second biggest in the tank.

I was thinking the growth rate has been slow due to the featherfin I had grew three times the size in that time, and the Sev would be nearly as much. So relatively speaking, he's been the slowest by a large amount. Doesn't seem to like the pellets or mealworms either which I hoped would help

Will try the garlic though, worth a shot at the very least

Awesome, thanks for the replies

Ira, how long did it take him to get settled in?

Month or two. Not long. And other than a couple guppies and maybe 1-2 bristlenoses, I think he's the smallest in the tank. Smaller than the danios even.