red tetra?

zarabenfell

I have this red tetra that looks as if it has lost half its back fin the issue is though he has now got a white algae looking substance down one side my question is is he peeling? or is he not moving enough so there for algae settling on him? or is this some sort of disease?

I'm very new at tropical fish so please bare with me :-?

yea i know camtang that is troubling me too. I am on second day of furan 2 treatment and have noticed that now my sword fish has signs of cotton mouth I only have 2 days left of treatment then Ive been told to do a 7 day treatment with pimafix could I also lower the tank temperature will that help? it sits on 25c now

yea i know camtang that is troubling me too. I am on second day of furan 2 treatment and have noticed that now my sword fish has signs of cotton mouth I only have 2 days left of treatment then Ive been told to do a 7 day treatment with pimafix could I also lower the tank temperature will that help? it sits on 25c now

Given your tank is new and has quite a bit of stock in it already, have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? If it is indeed still cycling, detectable levels of ammonia and nitrite might be causing the weakened immune systems in your fish, making them susceptible to disease. Worth checking the levels of these if you haven't already, since having clean water will also assist in helping your sick fish.

yup they all good. There was a small amount of ammonia but need to finish the furan 2 cycle (which we have now) and then we can do the water change (first thing monday morning!) Ive just purchased enough furan 2 to do 2 more days and I'm going to run pimafix at the same time i was told that would be ok.

we have lost another red tetra now too &c:ry

do you mind if I ask why no pimafix? its just that I've found it says nothing about cotton mouth on the Furan 2 and I was still losing fish while using it. I have only just started using pimafix it does say it works on cotton mouth so was just wondering what your experience has been?