Plants in a discus aquarium

AQUARIUMSUPPLIESNZ

I thought I'd start a topic on plants suitable in a discus aquarium. I have been unable to find anything similar NZ specific...

The main purpose is to gain some understanding on members experience with plants in a discus tank. Given the temperatures discus are kept, most plants just melt away in the heat.

I have had success with Indian Fern, Amazon sword, anubias barteri, java moss & some others.

Would appreciate some feedback on your experience.

Same as Godly3vil. If you search my name back from mid 2012 to about the end of 2009 you will see the many plants in my discus tank ( details are in the posts but a few pics are attached here.

The ones I have in with my discus atm are anubias (nana petite, nana and anubias barteri ), 3 or 4 sorts of crypts,magdalensis chain sword, glosso, rotala macaranda, windelov fern and christmas moss.

I don't recall ever having a plant melt due to the extra heat in the tank.

tank22july.jpg

7augtank4.jpg

plant-1.jpg

parttankshot-1.jpg

Appreciate your responses and I have had a look.

Godly3vil! OMG! I have seen that huge tank you have built! I am stuck with a little 350L and the wife will not allow bigger, but you have now inspired me to work on the boss lady in adding a biiig one.

Adrienne, would you be able to confirm whether your results achieved are with excel dosing or with the help of a CO2 pressurised system?

I have found my glosso and pennywort did not do well in the heat at all. That was mainly due to a rookie error at the time, since then subsequent research have shown these do not like warm temperatures (28+) at all.

From what I can work out I face another issue and that is the need for a pressurised CO2 system, as opposed to the continued Excel and Flourish dosing. My results are very good and my plants are flourishing, but I want great results.

I am looking at adding a pressurised CO2 system with PH controller. Really love the results achieved with these, but I find the cost for this equipment a little unpallatable in NZ. It appears importing these is a challenge too...

It's really not that expensive to set up a pressurized co2 rig, everything apart from the cylinder you can import from fish-street.com and if you didn't want to shell out a few $100 for the cylinder you can just rent one from boc for around $15/month.

I am looking at adding a pressurised CO2 system with PH controller. Really love the results achieved with these, but I find the cost for this equipment a little unpallatable in NZ. It appears importing these is a challenge too...

You don't need a pH controller, this just complicates things. All you need is a regulator with solenoid needle valve, a diffuser and some CO2 tubing. Then buy a cylinder for $200-$300, not particularly expensive.

I see the regulators are chinese made. Very cheap... I hope there is no end of tank dump issues with these...

You'd be hard pressed to find anything affordable that isn't Chinese made, doesn't mean they're not good regulators. I've had success with two regulators from fish-street.

In this tank no CO2, and only T8 lights.

That is super impressive - especially the lawn look you have achieved in the foreground. All my tanks used to be T8 and no CO2. I have never been able to pull that off, and it hasn't been for the lack of trying! I eventually convinced myself that CO2 would be needed to achieve that look, but apparently not!