diy co2 question

fish guy

What can go wrong with a certifyed C02 set up Sam? I have never really thought of the chance of things going wrong/heard of anything happening.

I've heard horror stories of random regulator failures dumping the whole tank of CO2 into the living room, most issues are caused when tanks are knocked or reach too high of a temperature but there's always that risk of failure. It's a 7kg pressurised missile, that's enough for me to get paranoid about.

In a previous life I worked as a dangerous goods inspector and there are horror stories out there. The guy that cut an inspection in a large underground storage tank with an oxy torch without degassing it or the craftsman plumber that disconnected a wetback on a log burner and capped the pipes off. The CO2 cylinders wether converted fire extinguishers or not have to have current certification before filling so you have to do something pretty idiotic to have a problem. I have two CO2 cylinders and they are both converted from fire extinguishes (which are CO2 cylinders and just have different release mechanisms). They have had the normal extinguisher mechanism removed and had the normal fittings added (by people that knew what they were doing).

You are more likely to have an accident with a diy.

• 1 month later...
In a previous life I worked as a dangerous goods inspector and there are horror stories out there. The guy that cut an inspection in a large underground storage tank with an oxy torch without degassing it or the craftsman plumber that disconnected a wetback on a log burner and capped the pipes off. The CO2 cylinders wether converted fire extinguishers or not have to have current certification before filling so you have to do something pretty idiotic to have a problem. I have two CO2 cylinders and they are both converted from fire extinguishes (which are CO2 cylinders and just have different release mechanisms). They have had the normal extinguisher mechanism removed and had the normal fittings added (by people that knew what they were doing).

You are more likely to have an accident with a diy.

Agree with you there. I have had a few converted fire extinguishers as well and they were both fine. Both done by professionals of course. Can't remember the place I got them from. Think is was Nova Fire Safety Services in Grey Lynn.

• 2 weeks later...