Boesemani Rainbows and snails

Jaide

I have heard of some Boesemani's eating snails, but this is an exception rather than a rule.

Your post do not provide enough information different rules apply to different snails.

For example loaches (clown, yoyo and dwarf chain), gourami, dwarf rainbow fish, puffer fish are all eager ramshorn snail eaters.

The Boesemani has been known to eat these.

Should you have thrown in some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) you are likely not seeing any as they are nocturnal. They are great for Algea and will not eat your plants, but have been known to breed to epidemic proportions. These snails will not fall prey to any Boesemani's since their shells are to hard. Puffer fish and clown loaches will however eat these.

cheers

I have heard of some Boesemani's eating snails, but this is an exception rather than a rule.

Your post do not provide enough information different rules apply to different snails.

For example loaches (clown, yoyo and dwarf chain), gourami, dwarf rainbow fish, puffer fish are all eager ramshorn snail eaters.

The Boesemani has been known to eat these.

Should you have thrown in some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) you are likely not seeing any as they are nocturnal. They are great for Algea and will not eat your plants, but have been known to breed to epidemic proportions. These snails will not fall prey to any Boesemani's since their shells are to hard. Puffer fish and clown loaches will however eat these.

cheers

Gourami eat them? I have some defect gourami it seems :(

My puffer won't touch the MTSs - he can't bite them and doesn't seem to be interested in slurping them out like other snails. So now they just uproot my DHG and are breeding in the tank like crazy :facepalm:

What kind of snails are they? I've found my fish will eat pond snail eggs so the pond snails won't get a chance to reproduce. I hate MTSs so I try avoiding those, so only my ramshorn snails survive. The ramshorns are so light and small I imagine many predatory fish would eat them given the chance.

On the subject of snails, are assassin snails (Clea helena) available in the aquarium hobby in NZ?

I don't believe so, sorry. We don't get many interesting snails (pond, ramshorns, mystery, apple, MTS are almost all of the snails available here).

My apologies. I should have been a bit more clear regarding the gouramis.

only Opaline, Blue,Three Spot and giant gouramis have been known to eat ramshorn.

Ah, I haven't tested my 3 spot out yet - the clown loaches get to them first :P By giant I assume you mean the actual giant gourami and not indian banded gourami (which for some reason are sometimes called giant gourami)?