How far is too far? Moving my axolotl... 11,400 miles

Hello,

I have read on forums that axolotl owners who moved houses (between states, even!) have successfully moved their pet axolotls with them. People have also had axolotls couriered to them, and in one case, someone has had their axolotls in tupperware containers for over 12 hours and have had no problems.

This is where I want advice from as many axolotl owners as possible.

I am in Wellington, New Zealand. At the end of this year, I may be moving to Cambridge, UK.

To the best of my knowledge, UK has no animal health import requirements for amphibians. According to the Department of Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs, "These animals can be brought into the UK as long as they are accompanied by their owner and a letter from a vet or the owner saying that the animals are fit and healthy to complete the journey. Up to 5 pet invertebrates, pet reptiles and pet amphibians which are accompanied by their owner do not need to undergo veterinary checks on entry into the UK and therefore they do not need to be imported via a Border Inspection Post (BIP). However you should contact the airline to ensure that they are prepared to carry the animal(s)." - (Pet invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles « Imports/exports)

While the axolotl is an endangered species, there is no import ban on axolotls into the UK according to the CITES website.

For those of you who have moved your axolotls, I would like your opinion on the risk of having an axolotl travel this far, either with an airline willing to travel with an amphibian, or with a pet transportation company.

My first and best solution (maybe my ONLY solution, logically) thus far is to give my axolotl to an experienced axolotl owner in New Zealand, someone who loves axolotls and would want to provide a home for a 2 year old axolotl.

On the odd day when I'm feeling rather sentimental (usually happens when I'm watching my axolotl swimming around in his tank, generally bumping into the walls and his ornaments), I think to myself, "This is incredibly selfish of me and most definitely dangerous for him, but I wonder if he can make the journey?"

I understand it will be highly stressful, there is always the risk of death in transit, and really, I should just find him a new home where he can grow old and not be in the care of his psychotic first owner who wanted to move him 11 thousand miles.

Has anyone moved their axolotls between countries?

Is it really a death wish for your axolotl?

Or are they actually quite hardy and will be okay with the right traveling conditions?

Has anyone ever had an axolotl couriered to them from another country?

Is there anybody based in the UK who can confirm what I read on the importation regulations of axolotls?

They must have been imported in to NZ originally so I see no reason why they could not be exported.

yeah but back then people were 'normal' and not 'americanised full of paranoia'. it was probably possible to have them in the cabin in the overhead compartment or under your seat in a tuperware ore ice cream container with water (very dangerous bomb building liquid) :wink:

and to answer georgemiachael's question. from the view of an Axolotl I would say as long as the temperature can be kept below 20 degrees C all the time, enough air in the bag and dark I see no problem. from a human view I would ask why would you wanna do that ? give it to an Axolotl keeper here in NZ and buy a new one when you're settled down in the UK. remember it's not just the travel, it's also the time until your new fish tank over there is ready and cycled for the Axolotl to move into his new home. just some thoughts.