Giant leopard Gecko:

Montyfish

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Im reopening this thread because, like some of you suggested, I reduced his feedings down, feeding him less each meal and only feeding him twice a week (whereas before it was 2-3 times a week). However he has gained weight and is now 116 grams? He is going to the toilet fine. Can anyone help me understand this?

I was feeding him crickets for a long time but reverted back to mealworms because ran out. I reduced the number of mealworms compared to what he was previously getting before the crickets. Could the change from crickets to mealworms be the reason?

Thanks; Jack

Hey guys,

Im reopening this thread because, like some of you suggested, I reduced his feedings down, feeding him less each meal and only feeding him twice a week (whereas before it was 2-3 times a week). However he has gained weight and is now 116 grams? He is going to the toilet fine. Can anyone help me understand this?

I was feeding him crickets for a long time but reverted back to mealworms because ran out. I reduced the number of mealworms compared to what he was previously getting before the crickets. Could the change from crickets to mealworms be the reason?

Thanks; Jack

Not many people use crickets solely yet as people still prefer cheap and easy and what I think is semi unnatural (mealworms). The growth rates (not just geckos) I see here, on crickets, even at low temps and minimal feeds blows my mind at times.

14 eggs from one female and she started laying at 30g.

Probably just genetics though.

I would go really easy on too much vitamins as the fat soluble vitamins cannot be excreted when overfed and are toxic. I have seen the result of a lep being fed vitamins on all live foods rather than calcium and it was not a pretty site. I have also seen the result of people overfeeding and that is not a pretty site either.

I would go really easy on too much vitamins as the fat soluble vitamins cannot be excreted when overfed and are toxic. I have seen the result of a lep being fed vitamins on all live foods rather than calcium and it was not a pretty site. I have also seen the result of people overfeeding and that is not a pretty site either.

Hi, I only give multivitamin powder every four feedings and calcium with d3 two out of four feedings.

I have raised leps in the past with added calcium with D3 and no other added vitamins and they have been perfectly OK. Vitamins A,D,E and K are toxic if fed to excess. I feed liquid vitamins on salad twice a week to beardies. I can't understand the desire to get a big fat lizard---a fat lizard is as healthy as a fat person.