where do I get polystyrene?

Shelley

Please don't throw things at me.....but where can I get my hands on some polystyrene for under the tanks I have just won on trademe? I have been ringing around various stores thinking they may have excess from packaging....but most of that seems to be moulded. I have contacted picture framers.....the glass shop was closed by the time I thought to ring around. We are collecting some of our new tanks this weekend (It's all Mystic's fault! :lol: ) and we are dying to set them up but want to make sure they are sitting on polystyrene first....I'm going scavenging around the recycling area today on my way in to collect 2 of the tanks and hope I can find something there. Who would have thought polystyrene would be such a problem? I have checked the yellow pages for packaging companies but a trip to Christchurch might be in order :(

I have a polystyrene manufacturing plant just down the road. I wander down and they cut it any size and thickness I want :wink:

Look for a place that manufactures cold storage units (you know the big outside walk-in freezers and stuff). Glenroy Polystyrene is the company that does it here.

Try ringing the Antarctic place out by the airport and ask them who supplies it.

http://www.styrobeck.co.nz

Styrobeck Plastics Ltd.

115 Gracefield Road,

Lower Hutt

Ph. +64-4-586-0254

Fax. +64-4-586-0031

Email. [email protected]

I put mystic onto these guys a while ago, dont know how she got on??

Cost me $20 for a 5'x2'x30mm thick, was great, they used a 5'x2'x20mm as protective packaging!! I think the chrge was more a minimum labour charge than a per meter rate?

HTH :)

Thanks everyone for those great replies. I called in at our local Hammer Hardware shop and they gave me a sheet of stuff which had been used for packaging at no cost...it was a bit corrogated looking in places but i got out the trustee electric knife and trimmed the thin wobbly bits off....and now have my 2 new (2nd hand) tanks sitting on polystyrene. Got a brilliant pump with one of the tanks and some other pumps I have yet to try and figure out (I am so thick when it comes to anything like that). Also got thrown in some light fittings although only one of them works but i can get tubes for the others....

Supposed to be going to Christchurch tomorrow to collect another couple of tanks I won on trademe also.....if I can arrange it. And a third tank is being held up there for me to collect when I next go to Christchurch as the owner is away on holiday at the moment. 3 of the tanks are a nice smallish easyish size of 60cm x 30cm x 30 cm. One will be propogating plants one will be a breeding tank and one might be for adolescent fish...the ones bigger than babies but still small enough for the community tank.

Heh heh heh....and don't tell the husband but I also have a bid on one more tank for a second community tank.....or possibly I might make it a gourami tank because I love my gouramis.

This is fun (costs a bloody fortune but it is fun :roll: )