Fantail whos is floating nose down and bum up alot.

Blackcat13

I have an unwell small Black/Grey Fantail at my work after being overfed over easter break, and tank dirty, one Pet store gave me Melafix which helped a little ( he has blood red marks around gills), but my regular pet store thought might be septasemia (sp) so gave antibiotics, a big improvement has been shown and he is now swimming around and looking for food.

Only problem is he seems to be nose down and bum quite a bit, almost like he has lead in his head and air in his tail and he cant keep level.

I have read up on bladder problems but doesnt fit the discription given.

Water is now fine , and have followed all instructions given by pet store, am wondering if trying a pea ( suggested on several websites for bladder issues) and maybe some salt ( the aquarium stuff) any other suggestions or advice.

He is much loved by the staff , his name is Pepsi, and his friend Mirinda (tiny orange gold fish) keeps him company , we recently retired Coke and Fanta to my pond as they got too big for tank :D .

Thanks in advance for your advise. :)

Yes, I would also agree with the peas. A couple of days without food is likely to help too. I have also heard that rice (soft but not mushy) is good for fish that are beginning to flip.

If the fish was overfed then high nitrAtes could have contributed also, so some extra partial water changes might help. Did you test the water?

Good luck

Try a little rock salt/tonic salt. This acts as a little lacitive too. Plus it helps with osmoregulation in freshwater fish. Hence less physical stress to deal with. Bad water fries gills as they are the fishes most sensitive area but also one that heals quick.