M@.'s Fighter tank re-scape

M@.

Hi All, got bored with how this tank was looking so decided to try my hand at a bit of an aquascape!

Forgot to take photos of the early stages, so here is the finished product!

DSC_0972_zps1c691da1.jpg

This tank is kind of tricky to scape in, as the shape of the top makes it hard to get into! Also challenging is the fact it can be viewed from nearly 180 degrees in its current location, and the final view of its contents gets distorted when it is full of water, as you can see below

DSC_0964_zps21d69eb4.jpg

DSC_0971_zps3cc4047d.jpg

Only have three species of plants - Twisted Val in the back and Xmas Moss in the gravel (Thanks Livebearer _breeder!) which I will hopefully be able to get to carpet a bit. Not sure what the plants in the middle are - just something random I liked the look of at animates.

Its a bit hard to see in this photo, but the filter is pretty much all under the gravel, apart from the sponge intake which is kept clear by a barrier I made from black plastic

DSC_0959_zps3abf8bfb.jpg

The heater is tucked down there as well and then you can see the glass tube I have used as the outlet to give me some surface agitation. Basically tried to get all the necessary parts in there while keeping it all as clean and unobtrusive as possible

DSC_0973_zps29a79c0f.jpg

and the star of the show!

DSC_0989_zps6d80ed42.jpg

hanging with his shrimpy mates

DSC_0997_zpscc7a33a3.jpg

anyway, let me know what you guys think!

DSC_1000_zps2597772b.jpg

DSC_0999_zps185fee96.jpg

I like it, but I think it would look nice with a couple of changes. Firstly The driftwood looks a bit funny being out of the water like that. It would be better if it was trimmed or the water level raised. And maybe some moss on the driftwood to turn it into a driftwood tree?

Will

M@ your scape looks spot on, clearly a lot of thought went in to creating it especially the sticks coming out of the water, they really add an extra layer of depth. Keep an eye on the sword though, without regular trimming it will soon take over the tank. Can't wait to see how this one develops.

Thanks guys! :thup:

I was originally planning to have some moss on the driftwood, but once it was together thought it might make it a bit too top heavy/balanced so just have the one bit hiding a zip-tie by the cords

Hopefully I scored a smaller variety of sword, but not averse to pruning out the leaves when they get too big. Hopefully it keeps putting out new small ones though!

I'd defs get some super thin fishing wire and tie a little of that moss to the driftwood lower down and it will grow toward the light and give really great patterns - also think that the drift wood sticking out of the water is always a really great look, very impressed man! I really liked your little glosso wcmm trough outside too and am doing something similar at home - are you sure the plant you have on the PTAE wouldn't go well in that tank? a little red would maybe look awesome.

Regardless well done!

Moss is starting to grow in nicely!

are you sure the plant you have on the PTAE wouldn't go well in that tank? a little red would maybe look awesome.

Had that in this tank originaly, thought it would go nice with the red in the fighters fins. Wanted him to contrast a bit more, so went for all green in this scape :)