Black Tux Guppy

PENEJANE

I got my first lot of tropical fish today and I have looked for them on the net and all that I can come up with is the Black Tux Guppy. Does anyone else have this kind?

I would also like to know how big does the spot get on the female when pregnant? I got 4 females and 2 males and from what I have read at other sites and at this one is that they are more than likely pregnant. Seems as this is my first ever tank and all I am not to worried about keeping the fry or doing any special care like seperating the pregnant ones out as I only have the one tank lol. What I would like to know tho is how can you tell how far along they are or when are they due to drop. I know its anything from 4-5 weeks but as I just got these today I have no idea how far along they currently are.

Fingers crossed that they are still alive tomorrow morning :D

thanks for that livebearer breeder. As I said I have done a lot of searching about and they say a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio is always a good combo. My tank isn't exactly big nor is it small (90ltrs or 23 gallons) and I have got live plants in there at the moment. I will eventualy look into getting some fake plants maybe as you can get them in varied sizes with out having to wait for your live plants to grow. It would be nice to see a few now and again survive but at the moment I am more worried about keeping the ones I currently go alive :P

Thanks again for your info and eventually I will look into posting up a picture of them if I can get them to stay still long enough. hehehehehe

ummm sorry to be a pest and all but I got another question if anyone can help me. One of my male guppies seems to have pulled away from the group and is now hiding out on the bottom of the tank hiding under my filter. Is he ok or is this a sign of stress or is it just that hes found a good resting spot?

When I fed them last he was up and eating with the other guppies and I not long ago turned the light off to let them all rest and he came out from his spot but I have noticed that he has gone back there again.

I hope that the wee guy is ok.

I was told from a pet shop and a couple of other people that have/had tanks that you set your tank up with all the stones,plants, filter, heater and what not and turn it all on and let it cycle for 3 days. I started cycling the tank on Monday and added plants on tuesday and didn't add my fish till friday. Was this to quick? I done a pH test when the tank was first filled which was 7.0-7.5 and again thursday afternoon which was the same. Temp is at 24-25C.

I sooo hope that I haven't done it wrong and that I am giving my fish a death sentence :cry: All the other fish are swimming about fine and happy. They seem relaxed and all and just travel about the tank together. Its just this one male. I was told that the general rule of thumb was a 3 day cycle.

**getting worried now being new to all this**

glad to know that you think I am doing things right. I am guessing tho that you are right with the fact that this one may be an accecption from the rest as the others seem to be doing fine. But I guess in a weeks time things will tell me if its right or not lol. There are a couple of other questions I will ask to but I will leave them for tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks so much for your time and info. :)

Thanks Shae.

As you can guess all my questions will be about guppies untill I look into adding any other different fish. But at this stage I don't want any other fish. Guppies are awesome to watch and their tails are always moving and shimering with different colours.

A tank will not cycle if it just has water, plants and equipment in it, it needs fish or, if you have heard about fishless cycling, it needs ammonia. How many fish did you add? You need to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to tell how the cycle is doing.

If you want help from a local I will PM you will a name and number. There is a (former) top guppy breeder living in your area who could be of big help to you. He used to line breed guppies big time.

PeneJane asked:

What I would like to know tho is how can you tell how far along they are or when are they due to drop. I know its anything from 4-5 weeks but as I just got these today I have no idea how far along they currently are.

Shae said:

Theres no way to tell how far along they are, the Gravid spot can be of any size.

Geez Shae..:)

Hi PeneJane,

The darkness of the gravid spot will give you a good idea how close she is.. plus her size of course.

The darker the spot.. the closer she is.

Avoid moving the fish in the latter stages as this will stress the fish out, and use a heavily planted tank in preference to a breeding trap type contraption.

The one you mention in the other post that is lingering in the corner...

This could be due to stress or poor water conditions, or even the change in enviroment from the shop to your tank.

Keep an eye on it as it may be coming down with something, and if it doesn't pick up, then post here and tell us the symptoms.

Regards,

Bill.

Thanks a heap pegasus.

When I turned the light off last night he came out of the corner and when I checked about 30 mins later he was back in there but this morning he was swimming about with the other fish again and happly eating also. I will be keeping an eye out on the little guy but I do understand that some times fish just don't like to travel (so my husband said).

All the other fish seem absolutly fine. When your sitting there watching them they will come up to the glass and then swim away again and keep on comming back. Almost like they are playing 'Peek A Boo'. I also have two small kids and I was wondering with them jumping about at times around the house could cause a bit of an upset to some fish.

At present time I am not interested in doing a community tank as I would really like to just stick with guppies. Maybe eventually I might get a couple more females and a different coloured male and see what sort of coloured fry I come up with but in general at the moment I want to make it through the first month with all my 6 fish :D

Thanks again for the info tho guys.

The fish will get used to the kids (and vice versa :wink: ).

Did you notice I sent you a PM? I am assuming you know what a PM is :lol: . If not, along the top right of the page it should say "You have 1 new message". Click on it to read. I sent you the name and contact number of someone in your area who can help you.

Maybe eventually I might get a couple more females and a different coloured male and see what sort of coloured fry I come up with but in general at the moment I want to make it through the first month with all my 6 fish

Hey Penejane, I am presuming these fish are straight from the shop. If so it means that unless they have bought Line bred guppys (very much doubt it as they are so expensive), then you could buy 2 Blue male deltas and have them breed with 4 colourless females, and get Red delta fry. It all depends on the fishes gentic history. And this is were you get into the complicated stuff with guppys. However maybe it is not YET for you. But for future knowlege just incase your interested.

Ive found this site most useful, and should explain things to you very well.

http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Breeding.html

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this works but I finaly got some pics of my guppies. Nothing flash to look at but one is of my fav male and the other is of my whole tank setup.

Pictures are from a cheap digital cam that I got a couple of years ago so its not that great nowa days.

ok here we go. :D

Img_0040.jpg

Img_0043.jpg