risk of storing aquarium water in a w/hs storage container?

Frankenfish

Hi. I am moving a large tank tomorrow onto a new cabinet and don't want to lose the existing water as it is now fully cycled, so wondered about keeping 100L or so in a new storage container (one of those ones with a lid and wheels) that you can get from the warehouse. Is it likely that any thing in the plastic could contaminate if I give it a good washout first do you reckon? it would only be for 24 hours at most. cheers

There's really no need to keep any of the old water, most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter and in substrate etc. Though you will have to keep the filter media wet with the old water and get it going asap. No matter what you will experience some form of a cycle again, that's what happens when a tank gets disturbed.

It should be OK - I've seen people in the US use them as temporary storage for goldfish (when they found out their bowl wasn't suitable and used them until they could get a proper tank). Water contains very little beneficial bacteria in comparison to filter material but I find that I like to keep it to reduce stress on the fish (especially sensitive fish).

You can't cycle water, you only cycle the filter...

I've used those big plastic bins for moving large fish many times, and as a temporary sump on occasions. The only reason I've kept water when moving fish is to save on the acclimatisation process. If you can take enough old water to fill the new tank ~1/3 full (and have the other 2/3 close enough in temp and parameters) then it makes moving them a whole lot easier.