Aquanano 40 Reef Log

Morcs

FTS 17/5/14

IMG_20140517_193307.jpg

FTS 12/5/14

IMG_20140512_202410.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

3 days ago this was a planted tank. I hit a crossroads where i either had to go for a larger planted tank (livestock options for the nano werent very exciting for me) or convert to SW which i had my eye on when i first bought this tank.

Build list:

Aquanano 40 tank 50L

Stock Aquaone 55W Heater

Stock Aquaone pump 500lph

Finnex Fugeray 16'' LED light with 4 Actinic LEDs

Resun Nano wavemaker 2000Lph

2kg aragonite sand

6kg dead coral rock

Found a new stand on the cheap, a blueplanet atlantis stand for $30

6 x 10L bottles of Puredew RO water for initial fill and topups

Red sea salt 4kg

Smallmag float.

Filtration is via the stock false wall with 3 chambers. I fashioned a 3 stage media basket from egg crate, with floss at the top, and will run seachem phosgaurd and purigen in the other chambers.

A skimmer (when i find one) will go in the middle.

And the 3rd chamber houses the stock pump and heater.

Waiting for my test kit, hydrometer, phosgaurd, purigen and a few other bits and pieces to arrive, but tank is up and running just 3 days after being a planted tank :)

Only question is, the dead rock seems pretty clean, will there be enough 'crap' inside it to decompose for cycling or should i start adding some flake to kick start it?

FTS on blues only

IMG_20140221_211332.jpg

Side shot on blues only

IMG_20140221_211400.jpg

FTS's with whites and blues on

IMG_20140222_091726.jpg

IMG_20140222_091732.jpg

IMG_20140222_095547.jpg

Filter area

IMG_20140222_092733.jpg

I already have a vague idea what ill stock, but will depend on whats available at the time. In the future id like to start adding some Zoos and go from there.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dead rock and not live rock? They typically cost the same, plus you typically get some nice coraline with live rock.

Will take months to get that cycled, vs live rock which is a week or two.

Easiest way to know if there is enough debris on your dead rock is of course to test it. A bit of extra ammonia won't really effect your cycle, the only thing that might happen is you get too much ammonia-eating bacteria which can die when the ammonia food source dies down.

How do you like your light? Hard to say without corals in, but I think those have too low a color temperature (7000k vs typically 12-16000k) and too few blue lights in them.

Why FOWLR and not a couple easy corals like zoos or mushrooms?

Planning on buying an RO unit? I found one on ebay for $175 delivered (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Water-Pro-Counter-Top-Reverse-Osmosis-Alkaline-Water-Filter-75GPD-/130591523948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e67dc846c)

Why dead rock and not live rock? They typically cost the same, plus you typically get some nice coraline with live rock.

Easiest way to know if there is enough debris on your dead rock is of course to test it. A bit of extra ammonia won't really effect your cycle, the only thing that might happen is you get too much ammonia-eating bacteria which can die when the ammonia food source dies down.

How do you like your light? Hard to say without corals in, but I think those have too low a color temperature (7000k vs typically 12-16000k) and too few blue lights in them.

Why FOWLR and not a couple easy corals like zoos or mushrooms?

Planning on buying an RO unit? I found one on ebay for $175 delivered (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Water-Pro-Counter-Top-Reverse-Osmosis-Alkaline-Water-Filter-75GPD-/130591523948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e67dc846c)

You can't just go out and buy live rock... You have to wait for someone selling. Then you don't know what's going in your tank as far as undesirable things goes.

The light looks good and is bright, fine for this application. Finnex do a marine+ which would be my choice if I upgrade.

I do plan on a few zoos down the road, see how well they go under current lighting etc.

As for to water, cost only 35 for my initial fill, and a 10% water change works out to be about 3$!

bit of a over statement as long as you seed the tank with a piece of lr which you will want to do because that will have pods,snails,worms, stars ect ect in it already your dead rock should be cycled with in a couple weeks.

this misconception of months to cycle a tank is wrong nither of my tanks took "months" and that was using all dead rock then adding one piece of live rock eg my 240ltr tank i used around 20kg dead rock and 1kg live was cycled in under a month

as for going out and buying live rock you can at most pet shops that sell marine stock where are you located?

whoops just seen you are in auckland, aquaworld, hollywood fish farm just to name a few both sell live rock i would advise buying at least one piece to seed your tank

Didn't think hff did, I still like the idea of knowing what's in my tank, and corraline doesn't need seeding, should appear in its own at the right time. Expecting to wait 6 weeks for the cycle anyway. Gives me time decide whether I'll upgrade the pump and get a better skimmer.

Loved your tank Dave, what was your WC schedule?

Gave in and got a piece of live. only a 310g piece with good coraline in it. Of course my scape was perfect before and there was no where for more rock! Not entirely happy with it now. While i was getting my hands wet a put a bit of flake in and moved the wavemaker around to see whats the best position - i was right on the money with original placement. I'll post a pic when water clears up.

Broke the rear lid whilst it was on the floor - but no drama as I won't need it when I've got a skimmer going in there, will just have to be a bit more onto it with topups and jumping fish are a no go or a risky experiment at best. (Rear lid covers about an inch of the display area too)

Edit: rock problems solved. As it doesn't match display rock I put in the media tray. That'll be ok? Better flow past it

You can't just go out and buy live rock... You have to wait for someone selling. Then you don't know what's going in your tank as far as undesirable things goes.

The light looks good and is bright, fine for this application. Finnex do a marine+ which would be my choice if I upgrade.

I do plan on a few zoos down the road, see how well they go under current lighting etc.

As for to water, cost only 35 for my initial fill, and a 10% water change works out to be about 3$!

I've personally never seen a fish store that sells marine fish/corals that DOESN'T sell live rock. It is incredibly abundant, it is basically free money for them because they just put it in their sump and sell it for a bit extra over dead rock.

Where did you find that RO water?

bit of a over statement as long as you seed the tank with a piece of lr which you will want to do because that will have pods,snails,worms, stars ect ect in it already your dead rock should be cycled with in a couple weeks.

this misconception of months to cycle a tank is wrong nither of my tanks took "months" and that was using all dead rock then adding one piece of live rock eg my 240ltr tank i used around 20kg dead rock and 1kg live was cycled in under a month

as for going out and buying live rock you can at most pet shops that sell marine stock where are you located?

He hasn't added any live rock at all and said he had no intention of adding any. In all of your examples you are using live rock, he has used none. It WILL take months with NO live rock, and just doesn't make sense not to get live rock.

I won't need it when I've got a skimmer going in there

I think most people will say that a skimmer is unnecessary in a tank that size, as long as you are doing water changes. Especially since the aquanano 40 has an overflow box there which essentially redissolves protein. But of course up to you, if you have the money to spare it definitely can't hurt.

I've personally never seen a fish store that sells marine fish/corals that DOESN'T sell live rock. It is incredibly abundant, it is basically free money for them because they just put it in their sump and sell it for a bit extra over dead rock.

Where did you find that RO water?

He hasn't added any live rock at all and said he had no intention of adding any. In all of your examples you are using live rock, he has used none. It WILL take months with NO live rock, and just doesn't make sense not to get live rock.

I think most people will say that a skimmer is unnecessary in a tank that size, as long as you are doing water changes. Especially since the aquanano 40 has an overflow box there which essentially redissolves protein. But of course up to you, if you have the money to spare it definitely can't hurt.

I've asked before for live rock and been told no so that has always been my assumption.

For RO water, puredew 10l from countdown. Says reverse osmosis as one of the purification methods use so good enough for me.

Yep don't need a skimmer, but I like gadgets so I'll have a cheap one to make me happy, even though it will have minimal effect.

Please elaborate on this redissolving of proteins as I haven't heard of this. Pretty sure I have my water level too high to act like a true wier overflow. Its just submerged grilles which water gets pulled through.

pure due is fine if you dont have a ro/di filter, as for water changes i was doing 10L a week and was getting great growth from all my corals

Sweet, im hoping to get away with either 5L per week or 10L per fortnight.

In marine rock takes awhle to become fully 'live' as the anaerobic bacteria takes a long time to become established

Indeed, it doesnt happen during the time of the 'normal' cycle.

Please elaborate on this redissolving of proteins as I haven't heard of this.

When you get excess proteins in your water you will notice an oily sheen on the surface of your water. This is dissolved proteins which collect at the surface of your water, and they limit the exchange of oxygen into your tank.

In small tanks or tanks with low protein load, you can redissolve the proteins back into the water using an overflow or a surface skimming function on your canister filter (something like this). Then the proteins can be removed with regular water changes as they are (approximately) equally dissolved in your water rather than collecting on the surface (where it is rather hard to remove them during water changes).

Alternatively you can use surface agitation with a powerhead to redissolve them, but in little tanks the amount of agitation you need can be unattractive.

When you get excess proteins in your water you will notice an oily sheen on the surface of your water. This is dissolved proteins which collect at the surface of your water, and they limit the exchange of oxygen into your tank.

In small tanks or tanks with low protein load, you can redissolve the proteins back into the water using an overflow or a surface skimming function on your canister filter (something like this). Then the proteins can be removed with regular water changes as they are (approximately) equally dissolved in your water rather than collecting on the surface (where it is rather hard to remove them during water changes).

Alternatively you can use surface agitation with a powerhead to redissolve them, but in little tanks the amount of agitation you need can be unattractive.

Ah yes i get ya. I run my water level far too high for mechanical surface skimming via the overflow - the entire weir is submerged. Ill play around with my water level to see if it helps.

Cool cheers Dave.

Skimmer arrived. Kent nano skimmer also sold as a resun sk300. Fits snugly in 2nd chamber. I've had one before and wasn't impressed but then I was expecting it to pull better skim than it does. Particularly sensitive to water level too, but for a total of 42$ shipped i though worth another go even if it pulls weak tea-like skim. Better than an air driven unit, the only other option that will fit is the tunze 9002 but costs $299... Which is a lot for something I don't really need.

$(KGrHqZ,!qgFBZlBo8N(BQhBSb5!3w~~60_3.JPG

Not my tank, but shows it fitted in the middle chamber of an aquanano 40.

DSC00488_zps3a6706d4.jpg

I still don't see any nitrites showing up.

Ammonia has gone down to 0.25 and nitrates still around 10ppm

Tank was seeding with a piece of live rock a week ago in my filter area, and added some fish food twice in the last week (doesn't seem to be much die off from the dry rock.

Ideas of what's happening? Haven't yet experienced the algae cycles yet, but I'm not running my lights.