Too much carbon-beware

reef

Here are some pics of my tank two weesk ago after using too much carbon.

My tank turned out looking looked a desert with no life on the rocks and a number of acropora bleeched and turned brown.

So the advice is if you use a high grade carbon dont use too much, maybe 250ml per 1000L.

Also it depend how you use the carbon. if you use it in a canister filter it will much more Efficient.

Will get some recent pics as the tank has recovered and back to normal.

before overview use of carbon photo

acro-change-1.jpg

Photo with lots of carbon

P3220008.jpg

P3220001.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a german carbon . works great but have to use less, i did not follow the instructions, just added a litre of it.

Lucky i did not have too many losses, Certainly proves the point that too low a nutrient tank is not that good,

Certainly proves the point that too low a nutrient tank is not that good

Really it proves that a sudden drop on certain nutrients can have a negitice effect. The dangers of carbon shock is well documented.

I use 'cheap' carbon' from brooklands, not sure of brand, 0 phophates though which is good. I use 300ml at a time, over 2200 litres of water. Keep it in the tank for 3 weeks, then it gets dumped. I then give the tank a break for a week or 2. I run mine in a stocking in my liquidosed reactor.

Shame about the bleeching and problems, hope it all sorts its self out shortly.

Piemania

Really it proves that a sudden drop on certain nutrients can have a negitice effect.

Not really. Depend on what your definition of nutrients. I think of nutrient as coral food. Ever seen a large water change do that. I think it may have more to do with the clarity of the water, and light related bleaching, than corals responding to any drop in levels of their food.

Layton

Everything i've read shows and says not to use to much carbon too quickly or to run it in a filter as it strips too much from the water, stress's the animals and causes problems.

Its not hard find this information in books and on the net, its a common theme.

Pie

Its not hard find this information in books and on the net, its a common theme.

Doesn't mean it's true. I think that the sudden drop in whatever the carbon is pulling out is not the cause. It is the result of a sudden increase in intensity of light for the normal photo period, which stresses the corals, not what is removed from the water.

Nah too be honest, I hav't actually read a lot about it.

Just saying that I have read a lot of stuff and its a very common theme, but in all fairness is often only a few sentances and doesn't appear to be the sucject of a great deal of tested.

I also remember reading something on Advanced Aquariest Online about people using carbon to remove excessive yellowing of their water, which they belive increased the light and shocked the coral into recess/bleech.

So I am sure your theory is sound.

But in the examples above, Fay was already using carbon, but changed brands, the EXTRA STRENGTH carbon hosed her tank, I doubt it had anything to do with making the water so much clearer that lights got better.

I just chucked another 400watter light on my tank, no side effects at all, I am sure this would add more light than cleaning the water with carbon (which I do as well, my water is often sparkling).

Piez

I just chucked another 400watter light on my tank, no side effects at all, I am sure this would add more light than cleaning the water with carbon (which I do as well, my water is often sparkling).

True, but some people do have problems when upgrading lighting. I still don't see any reason for corals bleaching due to rapid drops in nutrients. Rapid increases, sure, but not decreases. It doesn't make sense to me.

I still think it may be light related :wink:

Maybe the carbon was contaminated?

Layton

No Pies I didn't change Brands I was using the same brand I have been using for months

I was using 250ml and increaesed it to 600ml according to Zeovit instructions and running it in the sump in a very high flow place<> Brendon said to move it to a low flow place and I have reduced it back to 250ml Brendon also said it was probably the clearity of the water<> It was clear as!!!

The LTAS were both up high<> as the BTAS were down the bottom.

IN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION DO YOU USE CARBON IN A FILTER NO!!!!!

We just made that point very clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also depending on the quailty of carbon as how much to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunalty we learn by our mistakes the hard way :(

I guess you have to keep LTA's to know that the white one is bleached and unhealthy notice on both they have very short tentacles compared to the before photo the pink one has coloured up alot since this happened nursing them both at the moment extra feeding on white bait.