Sand - pros and cons

lambo

Hi,

I have used sand from multiple beaches around Auckland in a few different tanks and never had any issues.

The only real thing you need to do is wash it off and pick out all the bits of seaweed and other plant matter so it doesn't rot.

Easiest way I've found to do this is run it through a sieve .

I've been told in the past that you have to pull all the bits of shell out because it will affect the PH of the tank, but I've never bothered personally and my PH tests have always been where I want them but that's up to you :thup:

cheers

Pros:

Free

Looks good

works well with eartheaters

Cons:

Can shift around the tank if you have good current

A lot of beach sand contains large amounts of tiny fragments of seashells (so small you think it is grains of sand but actually it is shell) so can contribute to water hardness and ph rise (this could also be a pro depending on what fish you keep)

I use beach collected sand in two of my tanks and I really like the look.

The buggers will dig into sand and if you have any rock structures they can collapse and crush fish.

I had 4" of sand in one tank and my rocks pushed more than 2" into the substrate and they still dug under the rock.

If you're keeping cichlids the shells will help raise the pH slightly, benefiting your cichlids.

The buggers will dig into sand and if you have any rock structures they can collapse and crush fish.

I had 4" of sand in one tank and my rocks pushed more than 2" into the substrate and they still dug under the rock.

If you're keeping cichlids the shells will help raise the pH slightly, benefiting your cichlids.

Why would you have structural rocks resting on sand? Even without fish digging it will sink into the sand and your piles will fall over.

I was going to be a smartass and post a pic about building on a solid foundation, but it seems most of the pics are religious. :sml2: