Leopard Gecko's

Blue Moon

Hi Everyone,

Just wanting to know if anyone could post some photo's of there Leopard Gecko housing.

I am very keen to add some of these neat looking guys to my household and once experienced enough keen to give breeding them a go. I currently have a 240L Jewel Aquarium that I want to convert into housing Gecko's(Perhaps a few females) and a 60L Elite Tank to house a Male until breeding age.

Can anyone tell me how they have there heat system set up and how to maintain appropriate humidity/temp. Also what Substrate does everyone prefer? I saw some of these tiny juviniles in our Local petshop and they just had them on sand - I also didn't notice any damp nests for them(just upside down ice cream container on a heat pad which was directly under the sand?...)

I have never owned Reptiles before, so completly new to this all and want to make sure I have the best possible set up for these guys.

Many thanks and I appreciate any start up advice to this new venture :)

lights? from what I have read all over the internet from other breeders is they don't require any lighting and many keep them in tanks???? as they are not baskers, but absorb the heat from there belly's, not backs...??

Tiles seem to be a popular substrate - heatpad underneith with a thermostat. but I guess everyone has there own preferences in what works for them. I saw someone using an inferred light with a dimmer just to keep ambiant temp at the right level...

what you need is something we cant get in NZ :P

Critter cages overseas are perfect, and cheap. You can get them from amazon shipped, but shipping costs a bit.

a standard 10 gallon is all you need to get started for one.

31ovBueaFfL.jpg

A 'reptile' enclosure here will set you back $$$

Get reptile carpet substrate, mount a heat mat under the enclosure, no lighting other than enough ambient lighting during the day to see them.

Buy a thermometer / hygrometer, some bowls, 3 hides and your pretty much done.

thanks Morcus, that sounds simple enough - were can you purcase reptire carpet from - my local stores dont seem to sell it.

I am now looking into getting a REPTILE ONE SABURRA 120 WOODEN VIVARIUM BLACK as my main housing/breeding and a RTT900 REPTILE TERRARIUM BLACK to house juviniles.

Anyone have them or have used them?

thanks Morcus, that sounds simple enough - were can you purcase reptire carpet from - my local stores dont seem to sell it.

I am now looking into getting a REPTILE ONE SABURRA 120 WOODEN VIVARIUM BLACK as my main housing/breeding and a RTT900 REPTILE TERRARIUM BLACK to house juviniles.

I have the saburra 90 wooden black vivarium for 2 of mine and it has great ventilation on both sides and a half mesh roof under the wooden hood. It also keeps it nice and dark inside for the sensitive nocturnal gecko eyes. They are also very cheap, especially straight from the supplier :slfg:

Not necessary imo, waste of money.

All you need is a ventilated hood.

You can make it out of wood for the outer bracing and also some wooden frames in the middle to support heater/light if desired (for a 240L you will probably need a ceramic heater & thermostat, undertank heaters for something that size will be expensive), and put wire or plastic mesh across the frame.

A lid like this is fine:

SAM_0501.jpg

Reptile carpet is just astro turf available from any hardware store.

Amazon.com is your friend.

Just dont buy electrical goods as they wont work (110v)

Amazon.com is your friend.

Just dont buy electrical goods as they wont work (110v)

If you're referring to the reptile carpet, completely not necessary as reptile carpet is the same as astro turf, available anywhere in NZ.

Also I find ebay a lot cheaper and ebay AU (practically) guarantees 240v stuff and also generally guarantees you can actually get the item shipped to NZ. Most Amazon sellers won't ship to NZ.

Have to agree there amazon drives me nut's when it comes to ordering, Ebay all the way.

I've just gone the other way. Amazon is free of all the Chinese junk, and I use eBay when I want Chinese junk :bggrn:

I have used AstroTurf, its OK. Best choice locally.