MVB burning/bubbling melamine enclosure

kinnadian

I have a 160W powersun MVB bulb in my beardie enclosure, which is made of melamine.

I have the bulb attached the roof, and due to the heat it is causing the melamine coating to bubble (which is really bad).

I need 160W rather than 100W due to the height of the enclosure (800mm) and wanted to keep all lights out of view (tucked up behind a lip), but this is causing heat problems on the melamine. The heat and distance to the beardie basking spot is perfect though.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully used an MVB in a similar enclosure?

As I see it my only options are to attempt to make a vent above the bulb, buy a reflecter lamp shroud (don't see this reducing the temperature, though) or buy a new 100W bulb (many weeks waiting for overseas shipping...) and lower the bulb a lot.

Before it is suggested, a tube bulb won't work because of the height and I don't wish for the tube bulb to be in view (specifically made the enclosure this way to hide the lights).

It made a big improvement on the temperature of the roof definitely!

The issue is now that it's 4 inches closer and my black slate tile is now at a blistering 50 degrees... Uhg.

Will probably have to buy a 100/120w MVB.

Pics? Did you put an actual premade reflector in? I was thinking something like just a little sheet of metal as a shield wouldn't add much height, less than an inch.

I mounted the light on to a piece of steel and used pieces of wood to make a nice sized gap between the steel and the top of the enclosure. Made the gap quite big and the top of the enclosure (ie external) is still ~60 degC after 3 hours running. If I made the gap less I was approaching 80-90 degC which is pretty near the bubble point of melamine.

really is a shame they can't be used on thermostat eh.

Or used on a dimmer switch. Unfortunately they don't work unless supplied the specific wattage required.

Why does no one sell MVB in NZ? Seems a fortune could be made. People willingly pay $100 for a UVB bulb that cost $30 in the states, they could make similar profits from importing MVB.

Well I ended up going out and getting a 10.0 tube, incandescent bulb, dimmer switch and a cool white coiled energy savings bulb. Spent about $150 including a fluoro reflector, but I guess that is my fault for buying an oversized MVB bulb :/

The setup isn't as tidy as I had intended (with just an MVB and a night-time ceramic heater) but will do for now.

Actually Hollywood Fish Farm sells them on there website. Here is one of the sizes http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... tt/m/2721/

There is a pet store in New Plymouth that sells 100W Trixie MVB as well, they are $130 though and I got my Powersun MVBs for $55 each ($75 each incl postage) from USA, would be cheaper if I got more at once.

Unfortunately I've never heard of this "Trixie" brand and some googling hasn't returned any results of their reliability either.

I don't really want to chance the health of my reptile on an unknown brand, it would be like putting "Home Basics" brand engine oil into your $50,000 car :(

So why don't you?

I've thought about it in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if the NZ Reptile community is really very aware of them.

If I was going to do it, I'd go for a reputable brand like MegaRay or Powersun, not bother with some random unproven brand.

I have an unused 160W Powersun now that I will attempt to sell on TradeMe and see if there is much interest in them.

I have only seen them used in very large enclosures, not in the normal domestic situation. They give off a lot of heat and what do you use for heat when the light is off?

100W MVBs are fine for normal 2ft wooden enclosures, I have used them in the past to good success. You do indeed need something bigger than your typical 55 gallon sized enclosure though (mine is 4ft x 2ft x 3ft).

I only tried a 160W because I made a larger enclosure than I used to have and figured it would be OK, but it wasn't.

When light is off, I just have a ceramic heat lamp set on a thermostat for 28 deg.

what sort of tube did you get?

I got a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0, which are considered the second best tubes you can get, after the Arcadia 12% bulbs.

I did a lot of research into tubes for my previous beardie. The Repti Glo bulbs have a very poor reputation because they emit the wrong wavelengths of UVB and weak UVB, and can cause beardie health problems like conjunctivitis. Lots of people have done detailed writeups (on the overseas beardie forums) about UVB emissions and Repti Glo ones are quite poor, you can try googling about them if you'd like.

Also completely stay away from the coiled UVB bulbs. They emit a directional UVB ray, so either your beardie gets very little UVB or too much UVB, causing the aforementioned health problems. I've never seen a forum post or article that EVER recommends using coiled bulbs over tube or MVB.

Also completely stay away from the coiled UVB bulbs. They emit a directional UVB ray, so either your beardie gets very little UVB or too much UVB, causing the aforementioned health problems. I've never seen a forum post or article that EVER recommends using coiled bulbs over tube or MVB.

That is what I use to think, but have a feeling the bulbs have improved.

I've had 10% coiled bulbs on frogs for some time now and if any animal was going to show signs of illness it'd be frogs. Going blind or even just patches of white on skin I believe is from too much uvb ... never seen either here.

Raised tadpoles outside this year to see if deformities were due to rearing indoor ... got 50% deformed out there, pointing to genetics. colours on frogs incredible though.

Our sun outside is very very intense, these bulbs don't seem to come close to nz sun. Frogs like that too. Been meaning to get a light/uv meter too .. must do that.