broken 1200x400x400 tank, advise needed

aotealotl

my spare tank, a 1200 x 400 x 400 was outside over the winter time (empty) and it happen that we got 85cm of snow and one day the whole load of one roof side fell down onto the tank, the tank fell over onto the fire wood and now one side is broken. is it worth to repair a fish tank if I never have done that before or do I only ask for trouble as in wet carpet (old house, water would run straight thru the floor boards) and dried out axolotl ?

if I decide to fix it, what brand and type of silicone is recommended and do I get it in bunnings or mitre10 or special shop ? does a normal windows repair shop can get me the needed glass or again only available thru special shop ?

or would it be saver to turn it into a frog terrarium with two sliding glass pieces as opening doors and a fly mesh lid on top ? (and search TradeMe for another spare tank, problem here I am not even close to Auckland where all those big spare tanks seem to be available for cheap)

something like this:

frogtank.jpg

any recommendations where I will find plastic double U profiles ? something like this: http://www.rothley.com/data_images/ALFER/G418_HEIM_Fuehr_schiene_Alu.jpg

any help, suggestions or advice is very appreciated

Hi, If you decide to fix it i recommend using http://www.selleys.co.nz/sealants/silicone/glass/. Keep an eye out on TM for a peace of glass to fix it. You can cut plate glass to size its not hard. A glass cutter is about $20 - $25 from a glazier and they probably show you how to make a few cuts. I also watched youtube there was some good tips etc on there.