Oto vs SAE vs Black line flying fox?

kiwi101

We are looking at something else that eats algae, esp black beard algae, of the three in the topic header is the SAE the only one who will eat that?

Are Black line flying foxes and SAE OK with a Siamese fighter? (I know Otos are)

Any recommendations of good places to get Otos, (esp in Wgtn)?

Does anyone know what size groups any of these should be in? I'm not finding much that will tell me if they school or if they are OK alone.

SAE are Black Line Flying foxes. Otos prefer brown algae most. SAE only eat the new tufts of BBA, not the established stuff. Personally I wouldn't put a fighter in the same tank as an SAE - SAE get big (12cm) and being from the shark family they can be bolshy.

SAE are Black Line Flying foxes. Otos prefer brown algae most. SAE only eat the new tufts of BBA, not the established stuff. Personally I wouldn't put a fighter in the same tank as an SAE - SAE get big (12cm) and being from the shark family they can be bolshy.

Thanks, Google was very confusing, some sites said SAE and fly fox were teh same, others said they were different. SO confusing. lol

I was pretty sure that they wouldn't be suitable but thought it was worth asking :)

Any idea for sourcing Otos?

Our SAEs just decimated the BBA we had - maybe you can find someone who already has a group and have a young one and give it to them once it gets big and has done its job?

I love my otos - I've lost a lot through acclimation but the ones that remain are really cute. I haven't seen them eat one bit of algae though - but they like the shrimp pellets that I give them.

Our SAEs just decimated the BBA we had - maybe you can find someone who already has a group and have a young one and give it to them once it gets big and has done its job?

I love my otos - I've lost a lot through acclimation but the ones that remain are really cute. I haven't seen them eat one bit of algae though - but they like the shrimp pellets that I give them.

We thought Otos might be a good fit with a fighter in a smaller tank, not too worried about eating algae (would be nice tho.. lol)

Thanks for all the input folks :)

We thought Otos might be a good fit with a fighter in a smaller tank, not too worried about eating algae (would be nice tho.. lol)

Thanks for all the input folks :)

Yep, otos are the way to go then :) be very careful in acclimating them - I find mine prefer to have the lights off/dimmed, and a very slow acclimation. Let them swim out in their own time and generally be super careful. Btw, hello from RC! :D

Does anyone know what size groups any of these should be in? I'm not finding much that will tell me if they school or if they are OK alone.

Otos usually do OK by themselves but if you get more than one then you'll find them hanging out near each other. When I had a pair one used to follow the other about, was cute.

yes Ottos are better in groups of 3+ but I started with Sophias 2 and added more later.

They are fun and oh so cute.

Mine ate brown algae and new algae but never touched anything more established. They like courgette and pumpkin and sinking tablets if they got a chance with the other fish around.

They don't bother or be bothered by other fish so quite peaceful; and go about their own business.

I'm not sure what their lifespan span should be but mine don't seem to last much more than a year, the longest I had was 2 1/2y. Not sure if they don't get enough food or the community tank isn't quite right for them.

I lost my last one a few weeks ago, he just stopped eating and eventually couldn't swim straight .

Will monitor the tank for a while and then get a new batch from hollywood.

one of my otos:

Oto.jpg