Wood for DIY canopy advice

DennisP

I've built a stand out of 2x4s and plywood which has all turned out great so far, but I fear that using plywood as a canopy it will eventually warp.

Are there any heavier and cost efficient materials that can be used which will not look too different from the stand?

I'm quite new to anything DIY, so I don't have a vast knowledge of what is available.

• 4 weeks later...

I made a hood for an old 200L tank once using plywood. I had the back half of the top securely screwed down, and the front half on hinges to get into the tank.

The plywood top was screwed into thick 1" timber, like decking timber or something.

The whole lot was stained then painted so you didn't notice the different grains, and I think the paint helped keep moisture out. If you stained/varnished as per outdoor decks it should be OK.

After 2 years the plywood at the back hadn't really warped at all (due to being securely screwed in place), but the plywood at the front (just secured by a hinge) had warped badly on both front corners and was peeling up.

Short answer is that if you don't secure down a section securely (ie a front lid) it will warp.

If I had of designed the lid differently, and had it so that the front section and sides cut-away (ie half way up the front/sides) and lifted up (ie, the front lid was secured to a base as well as the back) I don't think I would have had any issues.

What I mean is something like this:

uZ111zK.png