Brown tree frogs - has anyone kept them for some years?

Insect Direct

Tadpoles too?

Wonder how they got that far off the beaten track

last season they were able to morph into frogs, there was enough water all the time. this season no luck so far, the water always disappears when the tadpoles have reached around 20mm. my frogs are morphed tadpoles from up there.

My frogs do get feed more variety than mealworms and flies, but those are the main part of the diet. They also get whatever I can catch with a light trap, slaters, passion vine hoppers, crickets etc.

Where did I say they lived in trees? All I said was they are not aquatic, as apposed to axolotl or fish. Sure they swim, are often found near water in the wild (more often than not they live somewhere with ephemeral water), and require water to breed. That does not mean they should be given an aquarium with less land area than frog. I've been to a number of pet shops where there is literally not enough room for all for the frogs to sit, so some cling to the edges of the stick half drowned. Almost every time I have seen a wild or captive brown tree frog it has been sitting in vegetation or in a damp spot under a log/rock. The only time I've seen them in water is when breeding or disturbed (i.e. they flee from predators by sitting on the bottom of the pond).

You are correct that L. aurea and L. raniformus have greater webbing, indicating that they have a greater need for water. I have kept both of those species for several years too. The captive ones used their pond daily, often basking right on the water's edge. However, they still spent time on land as well as within the water, which in my opinion means they need not only a pond, but a decent sized land area with places to hide.

In my opinion the setup shown on this thread by Devo covers their requirements nicely.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=58189&start=15

you speak a lot of sense . im glad we got you to reply :P

thought you may of been having a dig at my breeding setups. don't mind me. all good if you were. welcome constructive discussion anyday. :hail:

we have a lot to answer for in nz in regards to how we keep some animals but especially frogs and turtles ...howver lets not forget captive care is a realtively new scene so we are all forever learning. always welcome discussion on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I wasn't having a complaint about your set ups. I agree that discussions like this are are great place to learn. I've been thinking about starting a topic or two on native herps seeing as how native keepers seem to be under-represented here.

I agree that discussions like this are are great place to learn. I've been thinking about starting a topic or two on native herps seeing as how native keepers seem to be under-represented here.

I'd like to shift my focus more towards natives in the future. Exotics been good for learning some basics. For know I just feel humbled to be feeding some of the nations rarest natives, through clients.