Brown tree frogs - has anyone kept them for some years?

Insect Direct

not sure exactly. sometimes find them under the cracked mud? but yeah same up here, dry at the mo and summer hasn't begun. dam algae down the river already too. the frogs seem to spawn in small temporary ponds eh. I often get males in my live food troughs that are trying to call in recruits. They're on a mission to spawn in every water body possible :lol: even when frosty :o

Ive had the same group for 4 years.

zero maintenance just thought some live food every now and then. enclosure is all planted and everything auto, haven't' done a manual water change i well over a year. they are just in my reptile room 25 degrees outside out tank, so pretty warm , tank will maintain even temp with all moss and stuff.

they do lay every now and then but always on the land, dont no why don't really care either hahaha

image3_zps931cd1c3.jpeg

they do lay every now and then but always on the land, dont no why don't really care either hahaha

was going to say add more water but that may be just what I am doing wrong .. too much. as I keep them in large body of water it's sort of a fish tank I also use to morph frogs lol

cheers man ... may setup a proper enclosure for them but am down to my last pair and male starting to look off colour. :-?

do wonder if mistifiying them helps though.

Our frogs are about five years old now. We started out with eleven, not sure how many are left because they hide so well. At least one has died, the others are thriving. They have never bred, but do croak plenty during rainy weather. We water them with a weed sprayer (water only!) every couple of days and feed them flies whenever the are available and meal worms during winter.

Also the bottom of our enclosure is less than 15% water (small corner pond). No frog in new zealand is aquatic, especially the brown tree frogs they never use the water. Makes me cringe when I see frogs in totally aquatic enclosures other than sticks etc.

Our frogs are about five years old now. We started out with eleven, not sure how many are left because they hide so well. At least one has died, the others are thriving. They have never bred, but do croak plenty during rainy weather. We water them with a weed sprayer (water only!) every couple of days and feed them flies whenever the are available and meal worms during winter.

Also the bottom of our enclosure is less than 15% water (small corner pond). No frog in new zealand is aquatic, especially the brown tree frogs they never use the water. Makes me cringe when I see frogs in totally aquatic enclosures other than sticks etc.

I agree the brown tree frogs don't like much water at all ... unless breeding. May also find them in the water more at night time being nocturnal. Makes me cringe when people only feed mealworms and flies.

• 2 months later...

Generally the first thing bell frogs do when disturbed, in the wild, is jump in the pond. If not already in there. They are very good swimmers, id lean toward mostly aquatic. I wonder if that is why mine grow so fast. 3 or 4 strokes and they've swam the length of the tank (120cm). Other peoples frogs must get frustrated and jump into the wall and go hmmm know what? :sml2:

Brown tree frogs are not aquatic, 99% of the time, I agree.

No frog in new zealand is aquatic

my Growling Grass Frogs (sounds more posh than Southern Bell Frogs) love the water. during the day they sunbath on plants and wood. they are used to it me approaching the enclosure from inside and stay where they are but when I walk by outside the windows they all jump and hide IN THE WATER (that's what they do in the wild as well) and during night time they all rest more or less in the water or on the ground at the edge of the water.

especially the brown tree frogs they never use the water

mine do use the water every now and then to have a soak or a #2 despite I water them with a weed killer pump as well once or twice a day to keep the enclosure moist. (I only have a small, flat bowl with water in the enclosure for easy water change)

I feed my frogs with all sorts of insects and moths I catch in the wild. flies from a fly trap. small worms out of the garden (funny to watch the little brown ones fighting for one worm each frog on one end of the worm (spaghetti-kiss :wink: ). isopods, beetles, mayflies, stoneflies, damselflies (the red and blue small dragonfly look-a-likes) and last but not least crickets (note to myself - must order a new lot). the Growling Grass Frogs will get freshly morphed brown frogs when they are ready (not cruel, that's what they do in the wild as well) I don't feed them meal worms (they are too fat with barely any nutrition and can make the frogs constipated).

don't feed your frogs only flies and meal worms, they may even start to breed if fed properly.

Litoria Raniformis have complete webbed back feet and Litoria Aurea are almost complete. Obviously intended for aquatic life.

interesting observation.

they do bask, feed and hibernate on land. truly unique frogs. classified as tree frogs yet I have never ever seen one in a tree.

whistlers frequent tree less ponds also. still remember the night me and a mate went in search for them. could hear them all around us but couldn't see a single one.

Your right there being unique frogs. Its very rare for tree frogs to be diurnal, bit like some of our native geckos. The only other true tree frog that I know of to do this is the Giant Waxy Monkey tree frog, but they produce their own wax substance to keep them from drying out. I guess up in the trees there isn't a huge supply of water to cool off so to speak. Also most tree frogs lay their eggs above water under leaves or in a foam nest.

Correction found this article: http://www.gondwanareptileproductions.c ... ticle.html

I want a waxy monkey haha what a name. Apparently my nanna use to have a monkey back in the day. real monkey monkey that chucked bannans at visitors.

We have barely touched on captive care for most animals, especially reptile and amphibs. I still see people miss interpreting things all the time. Info is abundant out there though if you can be bothered looking for it.

I really would like to despute that bell frogs take upto 3 years to mature in the wild. I reckon if an abundant food supply they'd be close to if not mature in the first season/summer.

Whistling Brown Tree Frogs and trees down here in Central Otago. there is a little pond, actually it is more like a puddle, up Mt. Buster Road (road not suitable for cars) surrounded by tussock and other more or less dry looking stuff. no trees for miles, absolutely no trees. the puddle does dry out very fast if there is not enough rain (I showed a picture in another thread). as soon as there is some rain and some water is building up there will be lots of brown tree frog spawn overnight. I have never seen or heard a frog up there but evidently they are there. it get's really hot up there and also very cold from one day to the other but those little brown tree frogs must have acclimated very well to the harsh conditions. no trees at all but they are there and they survive. strange little buggers. :wink: