Question about DIY Filters

TmanNZ

I've got a question about a couple of Diy Filters.

This DIY Filter uses K1 Media but since I have a very tight budget, would I be able to replace it with Filter Wool, and is this filter good for a sand substrate?

Is this a good filter for a sand substrate if the other one isn't?

And a question about both? Are they good long term or which one is or which one isn't etc?

I've got a question about a couple of Diy Filters.

This DIY Filter uses K1 Media but since I have a very tight budget, would I be able to replace it with Filter Wool, and is this filter good for a sand substrate?

Not really. You don't want to replace biomedia with mechanical filter media like filter wool, and the filter wool would clog up and block the air flow anyway. Look on trademe for bioballs. I don't think it matters a bit if the substrate is sand or not.

Oh, someone's selling bioballs in the private trade and exchange section. Should be enough for a dozen of these ghetto filters. I assume you're wanting it for something where being super cheap and ugly isn't a concern like a fishroom breeding tanks? Otherwise spend a few dollars and get a good cheap filter like a CF1200, it will be 100X more effective and nicer looking on a single display tank.

Alright, what about the sponge filter for a tank with a small koura (Will get bullies once get good filter) till christmas when I can get a good canister? Then I can use the cycled sponge filter for a snail breeding tank or quarintine etc. Is this a good idea?

Maybe you could swap the leggo for the the bio media David is selling. Bonus for both , he can have an excuse to spend more time in front of his aquarium building sumps out of leggo, and you can get some bio media.

Stick to the ceramic rings as Bio Balls are really only efficient in a wet/dry setup. Not really efficient when submerged.

How big are the Koura, a Hamburg Matten filter makes an excellent feeding ground for shrimp. Don`t know if the Koura would act in the same way.

Good luck.

For the effort involved in a diy filter and the $20 for an intank ~250 l/h filter I know what I would use for a 55 l tank ;)

If you go dow the DIY rout you will need to buy either an air pump and lines, stone etc or power head + some media, one of the small intank jobs will be fine for such light bio-load that you are looking at.

Maybe you could swap the leggo for the the bio media David is selling. Bonus for both , he can have an excuse to spend more time in front of his aquarium building sumps out of leggo, and you can get some bio media.

Stick to the ceramic rings as Bio Balls are really only efficient in a wet/dry setup. Not really efficient when submerged.

I do quite like Lego... :lol:

As for the bioballs, I know ideally they work best when in a trickle-type situation, but if submerged they still have a fairly good surface area (more than lego bricks I'd say!) so will still work ok as biological media. After all, with biological filtration all you are doing is providing as much area as possible for beneficial bacteria to colonise, it doesn't really matter if it is bioballs, rings/noodles, Poret, pumice, Lego, Barbie doll heads, if it has a surface then it will work for bio media [to some extent].