Heating a rack? Heat tape, heat cable etc???

reuben.a

Thinking of putting a rack together for leos and was wondering what the best way to heat it would be? It will be a basic shelf/cupboard type thing, will have a closed bottom, top, back and both sides while leaving the front open to slide the plastic tubs in and out on shelves. Was thinking of doing heat cord or heat tape on the back so the backs of te tubs will be the hot end while the front being colder. Any thoughts or suggestions? What heating options are available in nz? Many thanks, Reuben

Heat tape and cable you can get off ebay, it would be hard to regulate temperature like you want (heated end etc) as the heat will permeate throughout the container. I use heat cable in one corner of the enclosure, and this creates a heated area but also an ambient temperature, which is maintained by being on 24/7 no thermostat.

Yeah I can vouch for these thermostats, they are really good.

If you can afford to wait you can get it from ebay for $17 shipped from ebay, but will take 2-3 weeks to get to NZ.

They are what I use now--a lot cheaper and better than the plug in ones. Easy to wire and wires protected by a cover. Histeresis 1 deg C and easy instructions for wiring and setting up. I mount them in an "L" shaped piece of wood glued to the lid of the enclosure. Will try to get pics Friday.

In the cupboard 5 of the draws are full size and 5 are divided in half so it will take ten recently hatched and 5 a little bigger. The stand was recently purchased off trademe and was from proud paws northland shop. Have finished the top two enclosures but still working on the bottom one. Will be all leps.

In the cupboard 5 of the draws are full size and 5 are divided in half so it will take ten recently hatched and 5 a little bigger. The stand was recently purchased off trademe and was from proud paws northland shop. Have finished the top two enclosures but still working on the bottom one. Will be all leps.

Wait so you have 15 leopard geckos in just one of those boxes?

• 1 month later...