A bit overwhelmed, please help?

kiwi101

Hi, I am totally new to fish so please bear with me while I try to make some sort of sense of all this...lol

The kids and I are keen to learn and we finally have an actual tank, small but hopefully alright to start us off.

Tank is only 40l ..Pretty sure it is this one here http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... um/m/1015/ Ours measures pretty close and is branded BluePlanet, looks the same etc

We still need to clean it well and cycle it - I'm thinking the fishless cycling method from the beginners corner. What should I clean it with? (there is a bit of old algae I guess, from the previous owners and dust from storage). Can I fill with tap water prior to cycling? What brand/type of stuff do I use to add the ammonia? The guide says 'Pure household ammonia'..

Can anyone recommend what I should be getting to test the water, brands etc? Science minded child will love this part of the process.

What filter media should I be buying for this?

Do I need gravel/sand? What is safe/good and how much?

When we are ready for fish, we are hoping for something easy in the tropical range. Guppies seem to be popular (would I be right in thinking that we can get all males so no over population issues?) What can we mix with Guppies, or does anyone have other suggestions? The kids like the idea of some Tetra (Neon), Guppies and maybe a Bristlenose but I'm unsure if we have the space for all that since I know we need certain numbers of the community fish and have limited space.

Can someone please advise me if this heater is OK for this size and still safe (as far as you can tell from a pic) - its the stock one that came with the tank originally but it has burnt looking bits inside and not sure if it really is the right size.

20131007_162123_zps18a52afa.jpg

Anyone know where I could buy a new bulb for the light? Do we need to have a light? is it OK to have the light on overnight?

20131007_162148_zps9446f585.jpg

OK, now I know I have asked a lot but ow you get to laugh cos I'm a n00b. Is the sucker thing in the pic with the heater in it, actually FOR attaching the heater? And is the long tube-y thing on the end of the pump in the right place (I figured that must be the pump intake and that why the taper and slotted end so I don't suck up fish?

20131007_162415_zpsb39ecc28.jpg

Hello and welcome :wave:

I can help with some of the questions you have. You can buy spare parts for the filter and light at some shops http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... ts/m/1191/ gives you an idea, and once you see what the filter actually needs to run you can improvise with cheaper alternatives (I have a blue planet and never buy the refill kits).

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/heati ... eguide.htm gives you a guide for heating, I would say 50 watt should be fine, but I would buy a new heater just to be safe (for the sake of $30 is it worth risking!?)

Yes, you have attached the heater right with that suction holder,and yes the long thing is the intake for the filter.

In terms of cycling, I usually buy the bacteria from the shop and do it that way, could never find pure clear ammonia.

Hope this is even slightly helpful for you :thup:

Anyone know where I could buy a new bulb for the light? Do we need to have a light? is it OK to have the light on overnight?
You should be able to replace it with an energy saver CFL it looks like. It's best to let the fish sleep for at least 6 hours and excessive light causes algae issues. +1 on replacing the heater.

Hello and welcome :wave:

I can help with some of the questions you have. You can buy spare parts for the filter and light at some shops http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... ts/m/1191/ gives you an idea, and once you see what the filter actually needs to run you can improvise with cheaper alternatives (I have a blue planet and never buy the refill kits).

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/heati ... eguide.htm gives you a guide for heating, I would say 50 watt should be fine, but I would buy a new heater just to be safe (for the sake of $30 is it worth risking!?)

Yes, you have attached the heater right with that suction holder,and yes the long thing is the intake for the filter.

In terms of cycling, I usually buy the bacteria from the shop and do it that way, could never find pure clear ammonia.

Hope this is even slightly helpful for you :thup:

Thanks! I was so busy going over everything that I hadn't even noticed that there were Blue Planets parts on the Hollywood site..lol

So that sorts the light (unless someone can point me at a cheaper generic replacement?) and the filter media (I'm not sure where to start with doing that myself yet, so maybe better to use the readymade stuff first?)

I'll look at the Blue Planet heaters and see if Trademe can offer better.. lol

I will also look for bacteria, any pointers on brandnames or anything? I think usually it has cycle in the name maybe?

You should be able to replace it with an energy saver CFL it looks like. It's best to let the fish sleep for at least 6 hours and excessive light causes algae issues. +1 on replacing the heater.

Any pointers on substrate(hope I got the name right) gravel etc and can I start the process with tap water or do I need to do/use something different? :)

hi and welcome. It's so exciting starting out , especially with kids to share the interest.

Good luck with everything , you will learn fast and don't be afraid to keep coming back to ask more questions. I know I did!

Thermometer - just remember to place it on the opposite side of tank to the heater so it will give a more accurate reading.

Filter Bacteria - the best brand I've used is JBL filter start , i've used it on 2 start up tanks and it did work. But it's harder to find so look for Seachem stability which is also excellent to help get your tank cycled. (seachem make great products) I don't believe any bacterial product does it instantly despite any claims but i do reckon they help things along, just keep fish numbers LOW until the tank has cycled...(you'll know when your test kits show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a little nitrate.)

some other brands are TLC, and nutrafin cycle. I'm Not a fan of stress zyme as it doesn't contain true filter cycling bacteria but it does help with build up of muck.

Testkits - API test kits are pretty popular and easily found in most pet stores that sell fish. I've had no problems with them and they are easy to use.. your kids will love the little test tubes that come with them! . The master test kit is a good place to start as it will have everything you need to test the tank while cycling http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... kit/m/950/

I never treat my water, all of my (currently 6) tanks are started on tap water and all my water changes are straight from the tap.

really sam?? how much water change do you do? I'd be afraid to use untreated water and I'm not far from you!

The last council reading i got for wattle downs was Chlorine 0.6 - 0.8 mg/L isn't this enough to cause harm to fish and bacteria?

if you fill up a bucket of water, leave it for one or two days, the chlorine will disappear on its own.

since you have a small tank that might be the easiest (cheapest) way to do water changes without having to worry about the chlorine.

i however, like sam, have used water straight from the tap for years.

really sam?? how much water change do you do? I'd be afraid to use untreated water and I'm not far from you!

My most recent waterchange was on Sunday, I was a bit tired after work so the tank drained to 10% (if that). Lovely rich tannin filled water too. I just hooked up the laundry mixer and it came out at roughly 26 degrees, fish all appear fine and I've had no deaths. I usually change max 50% at a time.

Thanks all of you :)

OK, so,gravel rinsed and in tank is now filled. I went to add the stuff for starting bacteria(bought Nutrafin cycle) and thought it best to reread everything first. Decided to look for Smart Start today.

As we are a couple of weeks from adding fish maybe I don't need too, maybe Nutrafin is OK? I can look for JBL Filter Start too.. Shop people were helpful but I really don't trust petshop staff esp when the info is conflicting.

My biggest confusion is what to use to add ammonia for starting the cycle, one guy says fish food and add it and the Nutrafin at the same time, another person said use a piece of fish, or add a pair of Guppies.

We need to get a new heater still, so will prob get Smart Start from Hollywood at the same time as a heater (looking at an adjustable Jebo?)

Filter media - we used white wool and bio balls (balls came with the tank) I need to get my head around the different options and mixes of media that people use. Aiming for noodles as one of the next things

We looked at lots of fish yesterday and the kids are keen on Neons or Guppies/Platties. One of the petshops said that we can keep a Siamese fighter with other fish (I thought they needed to be alone?) We wondered if a group of Neon Tetra (7 is min number isn't it?) and one Siamese fighter would be doable?

Failing that we'll aim for a couple of Guppies/Platties and some Neons but am I right in thinking the tank can only support around 10 at most?

Caryl - we are in Upper Hutt, wouldn't expect anyone else to go out of their way for n00b tho, must be tedious for you guys :)

You do not necessarily get conflicting information that means one is right and another wrong, it is just different people have different ways of achieving the same result. Pick the one that sounds easiest for you to manage.

There will be fishkeepers in Upper Hutt (and perhaps you could consider joining the local Upper Hutt fish club). I am sure one, or more, would be happy to help. Try a PM to flatfish (a member here) as he is in that club and very helpful and knowledgeable. Sometimes he is at sea so unable to answer quickly.

it's a lot to take in kiwi101 but you'll get your head around it and figure the best way that suits you.

Caryl is correct, everyone has slightly different ways of doing things and still have beautiful healthy tanks.

Bacteria - if you use a bacteria additive, you will need some sort of food for the bacteria to grow and multiply. I've never used the pure ammonia method so can't comment on that. I've used fish food and live fish, ..(Guppies) .. i prefer the guppy method and have not lost a guppy to a cycling tank.

Opponents of the fish method will say that it is cruel on the fish but there is an excellent water conditioner (seachem prime) which will help detoxify ammonia so it can't harm the fish but is still available for the bacteria. Seachem also deals with the nitrites which is the next part of the cycle. Also, if pH and water temperature is lower, there is less toxic ammonia. (in cycling tank there toxic and non toxic ammonia just to confuse things!)

Siamese Fighter ( Betta) - yes you can keep them with other fish but you have to be a bit more selective on tank companions. Also, they don't like too much water flow/current. Bettas can be targets for fin nippers and sometimes male bettas will have a go at fancy guppies because they get confused with the beautiful tails.

I kept a betta with a whiptail and two platy , no problems.

Female Betta could be an option too! I like them , they are more active than a male and have a lot of personality. Mine ruled the tank but never harmed any fish, she would even flare at a mirror as well.