Quarantine first fish (new aquarium)?

Asmodeus

Ive done a bit of searching and there seems to be conflicting opinions out there on this, and most of the info is for marine tanks where I guess it is more costly to have a nightmare occur.

Anyway, I have a new aquarium that is just about re-cycled after being torn down and built again from scratch. I'm getting ready to start adding fish but I was wondering if the first fish should go in a QT before going in the display tank. Rationale being that the new fish could introduce a disease to the tank itself.

If so, how long will it take to seed some filter media for the QT using my existing canister?

Any suggestions for first fish for a planted 200l tank?

Cheers!

When you quarantine fish you put them in a seperate tank and watch them carefully to see any observable signs of disease. I have always thought you could do the same thing by carefully watching the fish before you buy them. If they don't show signs of disease in the shop or in the quarantine tank you can still introduce a disease if they are carrying a disease asymptomatically. The joys of keeping fish.

I have never quarantine my fish, and problems havn't been to bad. I suppose it depends on where you are buying your fish if they come from a good store that has clean tanks it probably isn't necessary, but if the tanks at where you buy fish are dirty it might be good to.

If these are your first fish there is no need to quarantine them as who are they going to pass any deseases onto?

When you add your next lot though, then you can consider quarantine.

I have been informed that the LFS fish have been quarantined before they sell them anyhow so why double up. If buying from an individual, then maybe....

Thanks for the replies. I realise there are no fish to pass diseases on to, I was just wary about disease being introduced into the tank itself... Sounds like I'm possibly overthinking it this time. I will get a few initial fish and see how they go. Won't be adding any more for a little bit anyway so should be fine :)

Should...

If these are your first fish there is no need to quarantine them as who are they going to pass any deseases onto?

When you add your next lot though, then you can consider quarantine.

I have been informed that the LFS fish have been quarantined before they sell them anyhow so why double up. If buying from an individual, then maybe....

If they are imports then yes they have been in quarantine before the shop buys them, if NZ bred then no. Every time a fish is shipped or changes tanks they risk stress and a possible reduction in immunity. I guess it depends on the value of the fish you are buying and the value of the fish in the tank the new one is going in to. IMO you can generally tell by the look of the fish in the shop with the exception, I believe, of guppies.