My African Cichlid tank journal

Trelize

If you're talking about actual turn-over after head height, friction loss etc then 8000LPH seems fairly excessive for a 540L tank IMO. I would think that 4500LPH flowing through your tank and sump will provide plenty of flow, but you could add a couple of small powerheads to add more circulation around the rock work to prevent the build up of waste in any dead spots if needed.

Water flow (circulation what ever you want call it) is pretty important in Cichlid tank from my experience.

Its not just make the water moving and carry all those waste to the intake. But also keep fish happy.

FYI

I have FX5 (3500L/H) and a wave maker (6000L/H) in my main 800L tank.

I have CF1000 (1000L/H) and a wave maker (3000L/H) in 160L bow front tank. 905(L)x450(W)x655(H)MM.

I hope this helps.

Water circulation/movement/flow etc is pretty important for African Cichlids, because they require high levels of oxygen in the water.... other options are wave makers (as accessories to improve water movement) because most of them are pretty strong and low power consumption.

Cheers

What sort are you looking at? I've been thinking of getting 1-2 of these Jebao ones to play with; http://www.fish-street.com/wave_maker

Seem to be getting pretty good feedback. In a tank with lots of rock work I'd certainly be inclined to go with a couple of smaller ones for different angles rather than one big one.

I was looking at some Tunze 6045's that are on special , but the Jebao ones are cheaper if you get them from Fishstreet and if they are getting good feedback it could be worth looking at , also HFF have some Reef Octopus 3000l/h's for a reasonable price too

The reason I was thinking one Larger unit was to cut down on the amount of plug points I already have ! but 2 does make more sense ...

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to do a whole bunch over the Xmas break , things are really starting to take shape now , but I have the feeling the real work is only just starting !

Pic's were late afternoon and with my phone so sorry about the quality ... :bggrn:

Lounge side:

20131229_203841_zps7f6de8a7.jpg

Kitchen/dining side: (Still to finish up the frame insert)

20131229_203909_zps167e9a35.jpg

LED lights:

20131229_204046_zps4e5c02f6.jpg

Top view:

20131229_204109_zps4046c60e.jpg

Sump: (or at least half of it..)

20131229_204138_zpsfee02423.jpg

20131229_204152_zps5d020766.jpg

Thanks guys, :bggrn: I am well pleased with the outcome, put the last coat on the insert/frame for the kitchen side so will put that in tomorrow.

20131230_190006_zpsd5b20a21.jpg

Still a bit to go though and we are going away end of January so only planning on filling up when I get back, but at least this gives me time to get all the rest sorted ... Electric's, Plumbing, rock, gravel etc.

Thank you for the compliments :thup:

I have always wanted a " through wall " tank and its been one hell of a project but I am loving the outcome so far , just the Cichlids that are new to me so hoping that all works out alright and also looking forward and not looking forward at the same time to filling the tank for the first time :fshi:

I was doing a bit of reading up on setting up a Cichlid tank and one site suggested putting down egg crate/diffuser on the base of the tank before the rock work to help distribute the weight of the rock etc . does anyone here do that or just directly on the glass ?

i never bothered, cichlids like to did and move sand around so they just end up exposing the egg crate which looks pretty ugly. I have a lot of rock in my tank and i put down a fine layer of substrate then set all the rock work up and got it to my liking then added the rest of the substrate around the rock work so you kind of bury the rocks in to the substate in stead of sitting the rocks on top of the substrate if ya get what i mean. This also helps keep the rock work a little more stable. I've donr this with all my tanks and never had any probs with rocks resting on glass, all my tanks have been 10mm glass or over.

Nice work well done. I have rock piles and have found the tropheus move more substrate than Malawians. When I added the rocks I pushed them down into the substrate to the bottom panel so if they do move all the substrate the rocks won't move. I use river rocks which slide around more the course surface stone and have never had an issue with my rock piles.