Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breeder boxes - what's the general opinion?

Featured Replies

Hello everyone

I'm just returning to livebearers after several years' hiatus, and I'd like to gather the collective opinion of FNZAS on breeder boxes... There are those square netted ones, and ones like: http://image.dhgate.com/albu_262909032_00-1.0x0/new-clear-plastic-frame-fry-hatchery-fish.jpg (which is what I've got):

I've just put one of my very pregnant swordtails (below) in a breeder box with some weed. But now I'm questioning myself.

As you can see, she's very pregnant, boxy, and you can see the eyes of the fry inside her (at least that's what I've come to believe those things are).

DSCN1163.jpg

  • Author

I've decided, for the moment, to take her out of the breeder box, and instead put my male in there. She looked kinda stressed, and this way he won't be able to chase her endlessly round the tank...

Is this a good idea?

I only have 2 females and 1 male in this tank.

I always found females stressed out in these boxes. Much better to provide plenty of plant cover so fry can hide.

Putting the male in there is fine but he can't stay in there too long.

Because he won't like being trapped in there, unable to reach the females he can see but can't get to. These fish also like to swim forward, not hover in place.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.