Test Kits

jim r

Interesting. I recall someone (Caryl?) saying one club had a meeting where everyone brought along pH test kits of all different age and brands, they did a comparison and found that event he expired ones still were accurate. I finally used up my API pH test kit last week (about 3 years old) and I did a test side by side with the new one and they were both identical. I guess companies need to put a date on that kind of thing after which they no longer guarantee the accuracy, but I don't think I'd throw away a kit simply because it was a week or two past it's use-by date.

I've had API GH and KH kits go off. Last time I bought some I noticed they now have a use by date stamped on them. It used to be some obscure code printed on the bottle that let you figure out the manufacture date so you could look up the shelf life of the kits and figure out if yours had expired :facepalm:

The red test liquid is supposed to turn green but did not on any of my tanks or tap water or rainwater it just became a deeper and deeper red. I do regular water changes and I am fairly sure that tap water does not come out at over 2,000ppm.