Aqua One filtration?

Amelia

Been thinking about changing my 2x Sunsun canisters on my 450l cichlid tank to one Aqua One Nautilus 2700 UV canister.

Anyone have any experience with these on this sized tank? Ideally I would love a Fluval FX5 but that's not on the budget right now.

Been thinking about changing my 2x Sunsun canisters on my 450l cichlid tank to one Aqua One Nautilus 2700 UV canister.

Anyone have any experience with these on this sized tank? Ideally I would love a Fluval FX5 but that's not on the budget right now.

Which sunsun filters do you have? They have a generally fair reputation. Assuming they're the ones in the 1200ish LPH range I'd say going to a single 2700 UV would be a minor upgrade at best, UV is pretty useless unless you have greenwater and you'd be losing redundancy which might, in fact, make it an overall downgrade.

I have 2x 2000lph UVs, I think they are HW-304Bs. Flowrate has probably decreased by 50% in the few months I've had them and they aren't doing a very good job at all so I'm wanting to change to something... better quality. With 2x 2000lph filters I should be getting 10x per hour turnover but there is no way I'm getting anything close to that.

It's odd because I have the 2x smaller 1400lph UV sunsuns on my 240l tank (HW-303Bs I think) and they have been really good, do an awesome job.

I have 2x 2000lph UVs, I think they are HW-304Bs. Flowrate has probably decreased by 50% in the few months I've had them and they aren't doing a very good job at all so I'm wanting to change to something... better quality. With 2x 2000lph filters I should be getting 10x per hour turnover but there is no way I'm getting anything close to that.

It's odd because I have the 2x smaller 1400lph UV sunsuns on my 240l tank (HW-303Bs I think) and they have been really good, do an awesome job.

2000LPH will be, at best what you get running completely empty. I assume you've given them a good clean including the pipes, impeller chamber, etc? And try running them without any filter wool if you've got it in there, it tends to clog up really quickly and even after cleaning doesn't flow well.

I have a fluval fx 5 but I rate the aqua one 2200 (I think it was) higher for turnover than the fx5. I have a sun sun 1400lph and its great.

Fine filter wool will dramatically slow the flow and also if you use sintered glass and it gets clogged.

Even after a good clean its no better. I've read reviews about sunsuns losing pressure after a while. They're doing a terrible job and my tank isn't heavily stocked. It has noticeably less pressure than my smaller 1400lphs.

And yes I'm aware that the Max flowrate and operating flowrate are different. But I would still expect to be getting at least 1500lph or so. I doubt I'm getting even a third that, its just a trickle. I'm not using really dense filter wool either. I'm using the same media in my sunsun 1400lphs and those work really well.

I have a 2700uv, a 2700 and an fx5 and the fx5 is a far better filter in every aspect, actual flow rate is higher than the 2700s, filtration is superior ,auto primes, auto purges daily, bottom drain, less power consumption, i even like the look - but it is in the next price range after all. (can find for 250-350 2nd hand, occasionally)

Also I would definitely prefer the 2700 over the 2700uvc because the paltry 5w uv unit is not a benefit when you realise you have sacrificed the priming system to house it, not to mention an extra 50 bucks, which would nearly buy you an inline 9w uv sterilizer.

have you checked your impellers, if they are slipping (you need to twist them to check) that could be the cause.

2 x sun sun = lots more media capacity

what about building a sump filter until you can afford the FX5 (or better)

not that hard if you are even a little bit handy.