My Apistogramma agassizii have spawned.

Fruju

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of this morning, the female has become increasingly aggressive so I have separated the male with a make shift in tank juice bottle divider.

He hasn't been seriously injured, just a bit of torn caudal fin.

She's still trying her hardest to get at him though.

Hey Dennis. To be on the safe side I always remove my Males to another tank. Even though the females are small they are that aggressive that they can kill a male, although this is not a problem in a large tank with plenty of hiding places. I had a Female Macmasteri that was like that....

• 3 weeks later...

Well, sorted out the tank stock. And now hopefully I can get some successful breeding activity.

Tank = 180L, 1200L x 45H x 30D.

Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = ? Haven't got a test kit.

PH = <6

5 Apistogramma Agassizii double red, 2 m/3f

(One male needs to get bigger, other male is much more mature, 2 females look like they are in breeding mode).

2 GBA

1 Royal whiptail catfish, but gonna get maybe a couple more (I like them).

4 red eye tetras (moving out asap), gonna replace them with a few rocket pencilfish which are apparently fry safe.

Might get some ottos too.

Planning on turning this into a riparium tank.

BTW: How sensitive are apistos to O2 in the water?

Mine seem to love having bugger all surface movement so not too much oxygen in the water. They prefer the filter not being too powerful in my experience. Small and constant water changes seems to keep them happy and healthy.

I would definitely get rid of the red eye tetras, another cheaper fish that is supposed to be a good dither fish and fry safe are black neons. That's what I'm using.