Does anybody know about Hamiltons tap water.

gemelee

The Council that supplies the water will know what the chemistry is. They will not know what KH and GH are---it is a german terminology that for some reason aquarists seem to use. They are more scientific and list the chemicals present generally in mg/l which unscientifically is ppm w/v.

The Council that supplies the water will know what the chemistry is. They will not know what KH and GH are---it is a german terminology that for some reason aquarists seem to use. They are more scientific and list the chemicals present generally in mg/l which unscientifically is ppm w/v.

I talked to somebody from the water department a few months ago, they also emailed me through a full report of the water, however the report was already a couple months old so I'm thinking they only test every so often and it has only been since then that the pH has changed.

I was just curious as to how this may affect the hardness as I have soft water fish. I am still managing to keep the tank at around 6.8 it doesn't bother me too much.

I was just curious as to how this may affect the hardness as I have soft water fish. I am still managing to keep the tank at around 6.8 it doesn't bother me too much.

I think you've got it round the wrong way, a change in hardness would be far more likely to alter the pH, but a change in pH isn't going to do anything to the hardness (though it could be a symptom of a change in hardness). If your tap water has a very low hardness (GH=0 you said?) then the pH will easily fluctuate due to any number of factors, and as long as the extremes are avoided it doesn't really matter. My old east Auckland tap water was very soft yet would come out of the tap off-the-scale blue (pH), after 24 hours in a barrel with an air stone, a heater and some prime it was back down to mid-sevens.

I think you've got it round the wrong way, a change in hardness would be far more likely to alter the pH, but a change in pH isn't going to do anything to the hardness (though it could be a symptom of a change in hardness). If your tap water has a very low hardness (GH=0 you said?) then the pH will easily fluctuate due to any number of factors, and as long as the extremes are avoided it doesn't really matter. My old east Auckland tap water was very soft yet would come out of the tap off-the-scale blue (pH), after 24 hours in a barrel with an air stone, a heater and some prime it was back down to mid-sevens.

I agree with the wrong way round aspect, but my understanding is KH is what helps buffer against pH swings, not GH. GH does measure carbonate, but also several other minerals, so it's more accurate to consider KH when worrying about pH swings. Plus gemelee wants soft water...

gemelee - I wouldn't worry about a few degrees of KH. Every time I've tested Hams tap water the GH has been zero (as far as an API test kit can discern), so if your pH is stable then just keep doing what you're doing. If it isn't, then try raising your KH a few degrees. I run some lime chips in my filters to bump up the KH. There's a landscape supplies place in Frankton that'll sell you a few handfuls for a dollar. It takes a bit of trial an error to figure out how much you need, but they last for ages and ages. If lime chip don't raise it enough you can try crushed shells, which have more surface area. The same place sells them too.

Plus gemelee wants soft water...

gemelee - I wouldn't worry about a few degrees of KH. Every time I've tested Hams tap water the GH has been zero (as far as an API test kit can discern), so if your pH is stable then just keep doing what you're doing. If it isn't, then try raising your KH a few degrees. I run some lime chips in my filters to bump up the KH. There's a landscape supplies place in Frankton that'll sell you a few handfuls for a dollar. It takes a bit of trial an error to figure out how much you need, but they last for ages and ages. If lime chip don't raise it enough you can try crushed shells, which have more surface area. The same place sells them too.

Just be careful you don't push it too far and raise the pH

I have a handful of crushed lime in my filter (in the 430L tank) as my pH was well under 6 at one stage. It now sits about 6.8 - 7 with lots of driftwood.

+1 on sodium hydroxide.

they actually have testing on water daily (or sometimes hourly), just they only do reports every few months.

the water treatment plants are normally quite open about what they do, just walk into the reception at the treatment plant and ask, they normally have someone around that can talk to you for a few minutes.