Jumpers

camtang

I've had minnows, guppies and harlequins jump before. There's always that risk, be sure you're willing to take it.

While they are supposed to be jumpers, I've never had my guppies or minnows jump (Or even break the surface) but guess some individuals may be more inclined to jump than others

I think a few factors probaly would encourage them to jump - if they have some good cover in the tank they will be more inclined to hide rather than jump when they get startled.

I have also heard that some species will jump more when water quality drops, as they think it is the dry season and they attempt to find a larger body of water

I don't think loaches are known for jumping - more for wriggling into irritating places. Mine don't jump though they do zip about like little torpedoes.

None of my minifish have jumped except for the killifish.

I pulled out a large bit of driftwood when rescaping once. I checked it for fish, but still, an hour later a DC Loach dropped out of a hole in the wood. It was OK though, and is still going strong two years later. The ungrateful little so-and-so spiked me when I rescued it :evil:

I pulled out a large bit of driftwood when rescaping once. I checked it for fish, but still, an hour later a DC Loach dropped out of a hole in the wood. It was OK though, and is still going strong two years later. The ungrateful little so-and-so spiked me when I rescued it :evil:

:slfg:

all fish jump, i have seen a bristlenose leap clear out of a pond before.

they normally only jump if freaked, so if they are in a place where the lights are being switched off and on all the time at night, or there is liable to be a heap of people/children/pets (especially after lights out) then I would possible reconsider.

or maybe try a fine mesh lid instead, that way you don't lose light but you are secure (im assuming the light is the reason behind the removal of the lids?

:evil: My male BN won't let go of wood even when it's out of water. I can spend about 20 minutes trying to get him off a piece, I'm so scared I'll find him outside with the old driftwood pieces one day.

ahhhh.... just drop the water level, most minifish won't be able to clear much more than 10-15cm's

If I do that, it cause's to much surface movement which from my understanding counteract's the C02. Yesterday was the first time I have seen my plants pearling, so I want to keep it that way.

Our most common jumpers at work are neons and harliquins (and bichirs when we have them!)

Bugger!

:evil: My male BN won't let go of wood even when it's out of water. I can spend about 20 minutes trying to get him off a piece, I'm so scared I'll find him outside with the old driftwood pieces one day.

my method (and it works :wink: ) is to place the wood out of the water and positioned so the tail of the BN is touching the water, they will eventually wriggle out. when they start to dry a bit.

if your impatient (and dont mind the risk of hurting the BN) get a zip tie and slide it up under it, they normally let go when something hits their mouths.

(p.s. this is from countless times doing this on a commercial level, don't like doing the second option unless I have to though)

my method (and it works :wink: ) is to place the wood out of the water and positioned so the tail of the BN is touching the water, they will eventually wriggle out. when they start to dry a bit.

if your impatient (and dont mind the risk of hurting the BN) get a zip tie and slide it up under it, they normally let go when something hits their mouths.

(p.s. this is from countless times doing this on a commercial level, don't like doing the second option unless I have to though)

I was trying to use thread on it to cover it in moss, but it's his little home (when he's insistent on a home, he will get it - he spent a couple of days trying to swim up the filter - through the wrong way :/). I'd rather wait than risk damage though 'cos I'm not a particularly delicate person. I'll try that method though next time, thanks :)

Sorry, :smot: