Full System set up - Concept stage

si_sphinx

Make sense?

Yep, but you could achieve all that without running the 1000L tank as part of the system simply by having a drain at the lowest point of the sump which you open while pumping the new water into the tank. If you did it that way you would only need one 1000L tank in your room, and wouldn't have the extra cost/trouble of heating/treating/circulating an additional 1000L.

I have exactly that with my new tank, and just changed a hundred or so litres tonight in ~5 minutes, simply by putting the hose into the tank and opening the drain in the sump (certainly a lot easier than mixing salt and matching trace elements!!).

I understand your thinking and I use to do the same on my freshwater tank. But with marine, the saltwater is a bit more precious. I can't just turn on a tap and replace the water. I have to go and collect it. Also the water movement in the tank will circulate so often that I would say a certain amount of the new water going in would be drain straight back out and be wasted.

I don't mind having to have the extra tank to condition the water. It will still have to be done if I have one or two of them.

I would most likely have the water conditioning a week before it is required anyway. Or as soon as a water change is done I can fill the conditioning tank straight back up to slowly heat up and it can sit there until the next water change is needed.

Freshwater would be so much easier.

With a building consent application there is such a thing as an "alternative solution".

The Building Act tells you how to do it, the building code tells you what has to be achieved and 3604 tells you a way that the code can be achieved. An alternative solution can be achieved with a fan wired to the light fitting, the same way that you can do that in an internal toilet compartment. What you are proposing is not an occupiable room such as a bedroom or a lounge, it is similar to a toilet compartment or a store room. You don't need to tell them how many hours you will spend in there playing with your fish (you only need to justify that to her that will be obeyed).

haha yes :lol:

I am happy with an extractor fan and heat pump.

I will probably use the heat pump to heat the room to 22-24degs and in tank heaters to increase it the further few degs to prevent any fluctuations. Although I would imagine this much water wouldn't fluctuate too much.

Would I need a dehumidifier? how much moisture would accumulate in the room from evaporation or would the extractor vent take care of that?

And would the extractor remove heat from the room? Or is that not to worry about with an external air source heat pump bringing in warm fresh air.

Just trying to get my head around how it is going to work.

The economical way to run a fish room/house is to have as much water as possible as it acts as a heat sink. The air does not take much heat to warm up again. I used to have a seperate shed and would leave the door open for a while to give an air change because it builds up ammonia and smells as well as humidity. You could use a dehumidifier and use the water to breed cardinals and rummynose to pay the power bill.With no outside door you will not want the smells and humidity released into your lounge so a fan could be used for short periods to clean the air up.

Yes, it is soft and is distilled water.

I checked the TDS of my dehumidifier water a while ago and it was ~7-10ppm (can't remember the exact number), I'm not sure where those dissolved solids come from but I don't know if I'd trust it in my aquarium.