Fish room

camtang

I am hoping to start this as a thread for hearing peoples experiences when building a fish room.

Insulation options, racking options, tanks, filtration, heating, build pictures, completed pictures, lessons learnt, do's and do not's, ways to save money, things not to skimp money on, breeding issues, if people have their rooms designed for breeding or just for keeping fish for the love of it, W/C systems, layouts. Basicly anything to do with the ins and outs of running,setting up and keeping a room.

I would love to start with some pics... but I have not got that far just yet ( good things take time) but if anybody else would care to share please go for it.

This is my proposed fish room set up I have designed to build my house around in the next few years, Fingers crossed. House is still in the design stage. Of coarse the fish room was planned out first :thup:

A001Plan_zps151b10ec.jpg

A0043DView_zpsfd18492c.jpg

NewTankDesign_zps919e6125.jpg

These are older images and I have changed the design now. Main tank is deeper (front to back) and sump is 400mm longer.

2.8x1.2x0.7!!??!!?! :o:o:o any pics, or is this just a conceptual design?

Cam, I can't help much with the fish room plans, the main thing I found with my room (about 4-5 med-large tanks in one room) was that it needed better ventilation to avoid the humidity/musty smell. I think a heat pump + good insulation + an extractor fan would be a good investment for a serious set up. I guess you need to think about what you want to keep/breed and plan it around that. Do you want a bunch of 2'ers for small fish, or bigger tanks for breeding bigger cichlids, or a few different displays?

Make sure you have some sort of automated (or semi-automated) water change system, what ever you do. Even just having an open drain below the tanks you can siphon into is a big help. And a big container to pre-heat and treat water in (perhaps even hard-plumbed in so you just have to turn on the pump and open the ball valves for what ever tanks required).

Yeh I will be converting my current garage, waiting for the ute to be picked up so we can start the framing.

Rough size will be 3.3m X 5m, concret floor, I have an aircon unit sorted out courtasy of Caryl (Thanks :hail: ), my flatmate is a builder so he will be doing the building and sorting the tank frames and other supplies.

I am wanting to keep a variety of bigger tanks for bigger fish 5-6 foot tanks and then smaller tanks 2-4 foot for dwarf species.

I like a variety in life, so the room isnt going to be for specific fish types, but I am planning on sump set ups for regional fish i.e Africans and Americans on a differnt sump system. Will also run a air compressor system into tanks on bubble filters as well.

Looking at making the bigger tanks from ply and sticking with glass for the 1200 and under tanks.I have access to metal framing for the smaller 1200 tanks. This will depend on the cost, what ever is cheaper will be getting the green light.

The water change is something that is doing my head in, I am going to ask my neighbour if I can dig into her yard to her drain as it is rite beside my garage. If she declines me, I don't know what the next step is yet.

Basicly I am trying to get as much info from other people on mistakes that they have made.

I am mulling over the questions of how many sockets to add, where to put and how to plumb the plumbing, how to use the corners of the room to the best advantage, do I need a work bench and a sink.

Thats a super cool looking room you have designed, looks pretty high tech but I guess thats due to the marine sret up over fresh wate

How many litres are you going to be changing daily? Could you not plumb the drain into one of the downpipes from the garage spouting? I saw a build on MFK where the guy is building a bog garden to take the water from his auto system.

3.3x5M sounds like a great size for a massive tank across one wall, 2.7x1.2 footprint would be ideal! 8)

Was looking at 5% a day, I have not worked out exact number of litres per day as of yet. I didnt think of into the down pipe, great thinking thanks. I was thinking of into a drip irrigation into my garden, but watering the garden would mean I would need to regularly weed it, which isnt happening.

Yes that would be amazing to have a tank that size... but it will not be happening in my room sadly. 6 foot tanks should surfice for me.....

you've got the space for it, and if you're building tanks from ply you might as well make the most of it with 2.7M sheets! :P

I guess if you want to keep a bunch of different fish that require different water parameters then several smaller tanks would be better.

The other big piece of advice would be to make at least one big display tank that you can chill on a couch/armchair in front of. I found having tanks in a separate room meant you had to really make an effort to go look at them (like just looking, not going there to feed, clean etc) and having somewhere comfy to sit made that a whole lot easier. If you're having other tank(s) in the house then you can ignore that, but if all your fish are in the one spot make sure you're set up to spend some time in there.

That is just designed on paper so far.

It has been designed for marine but can easily be used exactly the same with freshwater. It looks high tech but isnt really. Just pipes everywhere so everything is just open/close valves and turn on/off pumps for water changes.

Definitely need a sink/wash tub. makes things a lot easier.

And think about preventing condensation and mould build up. If there isn't enough airflow behind things in a high humidity room then mould will grow there. i.e don't put things hard up against walls.

hard plumb as much as possible. dragging hoses everywhere is a pain. Do it right from the start.

YES, have one big Display Tank. bigger the better. you will regret it if you don't.

as for the power outlets. Think about how many plugs will be required for each tank and how far those cords reach or just multiboxes everywhere.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your build

I guess if you want to keep a bunch of different fish that require different water parameters then several smaller tanks would be better.

Thats exactly why I am not going t go for a single big tank, I did have a big think about it but decided to go the other way as there is lots of different fish that I want to keep and this is the only way.

YES, have one big Display Tank. bigger the better. you will regret it if you don't.

I will already have 3 display tanks (2 in the lounge, 1 in my office) in the house by the time this is done, so I don't think I need a big one in there as well. But things may change.

Hard plumb is smart, and I agree with the hose going every where. The land lord has given me free licence on this project so I will definitly look ing to that. And as you say, do it once do it right is what I am applying to this

So are you keeping the big tanks in the house?

Obviously you've got a pretty good landlord, but I'd think long and hard before spending big $$ on stuff that isn't going to be easily relocated and set up elsewhere, possibly in a different configuration. How certain are you that you're not going to be moving in the forseeable future?

Is the room going to be more for breeding or just keeping fish? ie do you want a bunch of grow-out type tanks, or are they all going to be "displays"?

Si that is a nicely planned set up, but it seems like a bit of a waste having it locked away in a room like that (which is what I've ended up with) if you're going to be designing/building a house with the tank in mind. Ideally IMO you'd have the front of the tank built into the wall of your lounge so you can chill on the couch watching the "wide screen" and have the actual tank and mechanics of it in a room as you've shown above.

Yeh 3 big tanks in the house the rest out in the garage.

The land lord is my father, so I have had several conversations regarding this and if there is a chance of him selling the house. No chance of the house being sold unless something very major happens. He is also helping to set up and build stuff when he is down. ( fingers crossed he may bank roll some of it as well)

Room will be mainly for "display" or just kepping fish reasons no real desire to breed. Was thinking about running a small tank on the African system for anything that may breed/A mate wants something that I have.Other than that survival of the fittest.

Henward, are you refering to Si or me?

Sweet, you're sorted then! No grumpy property managers to deal with, and if ever he does look at selling the house you should sort out a deal to buy it. (in fact it probably isn't a bad idea to look into either way, but that's another thread...)

So are plecs and africans your main areas of interest?

Yeh basicy, but of late plants and loaches are also doing it for me a bit. So they will get a mention in the room. The idea of running a few different central systems is to play around with different types of fish, see what ones I like what ones I don't.

Si that is a nicely planned set up, but it seems like a bit of a waste having it locked away in a room like that (which is what I've ended up with) if you're going to be designing/building a house with the tank in mind. Ideally IMO you'd have the front of the tank built into the wall of your lounge so you can chill on the couch watching the "wide screen" and have the actual tank and mechanics of it in a room as you've shown above.

Way ahead of you there :thup:

FloorPlan_zps550fcd77.jpg

LivingRoom3D1_zpse668d47b.jpg

Way ahead of you there :thup:

:hail::hail::hail:

That is basically what I was planning if we built, although I wanted the tank out in the room so it could be viewed from three sides and with swanky suspended lights hanging from the ceiling.

Only problem I see with your plan is the couch in the living room is facing the wrong way!! Who needs a TV with a tank like that...

8)

Ok What if I add a half height wall with breakfast bar. Can watch tv or spin around and watch the tank. The wall would also block my view of it from the couch so I have to get up to see it.

LivingRoom3D_zpse9064dce.jpg

Nice plans!!!!

:love: :hail::bow:

Thanks, This house will be built in Nelson area. So you could come visit when it happens. It is going to be fun moving my current setup up there. :(

Thats a cool idea. Is it possible to swap the office/linen and the fish room around and move the gap between the lounge/linen over so the fish tank could be in the wall of the lounge?

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, sort of. I may be slightly biased and under the influence of my new tank, but having one massive display tank is a very worth-while endeavour if you can make up your mind about what to put in it. I'd never trade half a dozen small tanks for one big one, even though it means I'll probably never keep a colony of tropheus or a pile of bichirs....

:lol:

Pipe work? I used PVC waste pipe where ever possible as it is fairly cheap compared to pressure pipe. Not sure how it compares to the black stuff and Hansen fittings though, but I prefer glued socked joins over threaded Hansen style joins.

Not sure when this is going to happen. Hopefully within the next few years.

I thought about the tank in the lounge but that room is more for home theater/ movies or future 'Kids stay in there so you don't annoy me out here' room :sml2:

I would go with PVC pipes as well.

And I would say no to metal pipes. Corrosion being the main reason. And I would imagine pvc will be easier to modify or add to for any changes needed.

Everything going into new houses is mainly uPVC for drains and polybutylene or similar for water supply. Not so much metal anymore.

I think Hansen fittings are more expensive but is easier to put together and modify with all the screw connections etc.

Any reason you prefer that type of piping?

How would metal work? (I have been offered metal fittings/taps for free)

As I said, I think the glued socket joins are more solid and leak-proof than the threaded screw together Hansen ones (which are kinda like how a canister filter pipe attaches to the taps). Cutting and gluing the PVC is pretty simple and you end up with a very strong and rigid finished product. I've even used it with no glue, just pushed together firmly, for drains on numerous occasions. Certainly cheaper than the Hansen fittings, though I haven't found a PVC bulk-head that works with anything thicker than 6mm glass, they don't have enough thread so I usually use the RXPlastics water tank ones with an adapter.

I'd stay away from metal for the above reasons too.