Stocking rate in aquarium

Myah

Hi, how many comets and black moor could I have living in a 2mtr x 600cm x 600cm tank with good filtration and air circulation? Sorry, I've redone the measurements. The tank is 220cm long x 60cm x 60cm.

Hi Caryl, thank you for that. I had to admit my maths is not that great and I don't want to make the mistake of putting too many fish in this tank. So if you could help me out with the actual amount of fish I may be able to put in it, I would be greatful. I have an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 canister filter for the tank as well as smaller Aqua One canister that I can't remember the size of. I would be running an Eheim 200 air pump.

Hi Ron, I'm thinking about their size in advance as to when they are full grown. I've had ordinary goldfish in the pond I had years ago grow to about 12 inches and some larger, but I don't think they were comets. I'm trying to figure out how many I could have in this size tank as I can't get a larger tank later on down the line (although I'd love a bigger one but tropical :bggrn: ). I hope that makes sense.

good rule of thumb is to only mix short bodies with short bodies and long bodies with long bodies.

also considering adult size i recommend 70L per fish.

in my opinion leave the goldfish in the pond, they will be happier there.

easier to to tropicals anyday.

Thank you all for your help. I don't have a pond anymore due to shifting house and decided to start a cold water tank (try and keep the power bill down a little by not having to have heaters in tank) so the fish would be young small ones to begin with, that's why I was enquiring about how many would be fine in this tank size in years to come when they are full grown. I didn't want any problems with over crowding down the track and want my fish to be happy.

check out the native section on the forums, some like the redfin bully are gorgeous. the Kokopu are golds and browns normally, but are stunning.

Redfin+bully+male+%28Medium%29.jpg

Redfin Bully

kokopuBanded_Moore617.jpg

Banded Kokopu

the best thing is you get to go out and catch your own, so the fish are a lot more personal. plus if you have kids its an amazing educational tool.

We are currently working on a Native Fish profile page so keep your eyes out.

Wow, I love those red bullies. Where would be the best place to get some? I live in Patea, Taranaki so not sure where I would go to catch any native fish or what to feed them. There are no kids at home anymore just my older sister and I. The fish are my 'thing' for stress release, although my sister has been showing interest in the tropicals I have. I really do appreciate all your suggestions and help. Thank you. :thup:

Taranaki is one of the best places for redfins. try lower down nearer the sea as they are a sea run spawner, but they do go inland quite a bit and can climb waterfalls.

next time your near a library go have a peek and see if there is any books.

Great, there is a lovely library here. We are quite near the sea and the Patea river runs just down the road a bit from my house but I really wouldn't have a clue as to where the best place to catch them would be. Do they need special foods? And they grow to about 12cm, is that right? Are they one of the ones that are not allowed to be sold live?

not allowed to sell them, Patea river is full of bullies, never had a look at what types though, as to where, thats the fun part, go door knocking at the farmers houses and take a picnic. most bullies will take sinking pellet food if they not to sure on it, try frozen bloodworm or buy a white worm culture (there is bound to be someone close to you on here that will sort you out).

I've been reading a bit about the native fish and what I wanted to know was, if I was to catch something in a net that I'm not sure is a Bully, does that mean I can't put it back in where ever it was I got it from either the same day or the next morning (if night netting)?

technically it is illegal.

you should be fine ID'ing bullies anyways. just go get a feild guide out and read up for a day or so before you go.

if your after red-fins specifically its the Diagonal face markings to look for, quite distinctive under a spotlight at night.

Catch and release is fine (in practice, I would say that if they haven't come into contact with fish/water from another river system/established aquarium/etc and it's the same day you should be fine).

A 2m yank would be wonderful for a native setup, would allow for a wide variety of flow. That would also be an ideal size for some big kokopu if you find that natives take you fancy.

To start with I would stock with bullies to start with, you have giant; common; Cran's; upland; and bluegill in your area I think, then during the whitebait run get some live ones (either catch them or buy them from a friendly baiter) and add them in the spring. You never know what you'll get as whitebait, would be bound to get inanga and could well get banded kokopu and koaro. All three of these would do well.

Another interesting addition could be some torrentfish - although they take a bit to get used to catching.

Bluegill bullies, redfin bullies, torrentfish and koaro all like good flow so if you get any of these then a wavemaker or 2 placed near the bottom pointing along the tank would be a good idea (I have a 5-15000 l/h and a 5000 l/h in my 430 l native aquarium). Inanga, kokopu (except shortjaw) common & Cran's bullies, smelt etc don't need too much flow but will often sit in the current anyway.

If you have anything else to ask, ask away...

Edit: have a read through mu 430l tank log (see sig) and dig up some of Stella's tanks as well for some good ideas