Can I turn my aquarium filter off at night, heater on?

nzfauna

Hi there. My tank is 40L, freshwater, and heated to about 23 degrees Celsius, with a few fish in it. It is one of those hooded ones where the biological filter system is all built in. I also have a UV steriliser that I will turn off at night. I would prefer to turn the filter off at night, because the tank is in my bedroom, but leave the heater on.

Am I able to do this, without detriment to the fish?

The considerations I can think of are:

- Temperature gradient/mixing - would the warmer water rising to top/cooler water sinking to bottom over night cause any problems? Can the fish choose a comfortable spot? I'm presuming it would be OK.

- Oxygen - will there be enough oxygen without filter action? The entire surface of the water is open to air. I'm presuming it would be OK.

- Biological filter - will the bacteria remain moist enough to survive the night? I'm presuming it would be OK.

Thank you,

NZF

Temperature gradients could be a little problem, but not that it would be a major problem.

Oxygen due to little water movement could be a problem, That depends on your stocking and what plants you have.

The bio filter will be the main problem, if the filter drains and dries out your bio filter will die every night. Also with out water cycling through the filter ammonia will build up in the tank.

Other then that I have tanks in my room and I don't mind the sound of moving water.

my HOB is only noisy if the water level drops, quite useful really, I fill it to a set level and it takes exactly 1 week to evaporate enough water to make it noisy, which annoys my missus, which means water change time :P the fish in that tank are always very happy and healthy

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Yes, the reason I want to turn if off at night is solely to eliminate noise. It's not a noisy filter, I just feel more settled with complete silence (I live in an areas with complete silence at night). Occasionally the filter will make some noise, but I just turn it off and on until the impeller or whatever jiggles back into place. The water trickle noise is non-existent because it has a nifty little extender that means the overflow empties out underwater.

So my question is just about whether turning the filter off, but leaving the heater on, for 9 hours a day is going to kill my fish.

My tank filter is not HOB (hang on back). It is built into the hood, like these: http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... ms/m/2591/

I also have a UV steriliser in it - which I will always turn off at night.