Looking for help setting up a native (or local) marine tank

DuchessofSquee

Hi all, I've got several freshwater tropical tanks and one marine reef tank which we just added our first frag to yesterday but I've become fascinated with nudibranches of late, especially the ones which live in NZ coastal waters! So I'm looking at setting up a coldwater marine tank so I can keep them!

At minimum I'd be happy if I could keep a clown doris or two and cultivate enough blue sponge to feed them but ideally if its not too tricky I'd love to collect a few different species and perhaps throw in a new native corals or a cray etc in time!

I think I can source the creatures themselves ok, I just need some help with getting set up. I know enough about tropical tanks to get by and even a little about tropical marine but not enough when it comes to native coldwater marine!

Hopefully a few kind souls will be happy to answers my questions to help me get started!

Firstly, what sort of size tank would I be looking at? Keeping in mind I want to grow enough sponge to sustain the sea slugs

Chiller required? I live in Canterbury and the clown doris is mainly only found in the slightly warmer North Island areas so I was hoping to get away with no chiller?

Skimmer? I assume this is just an essential

Rock, I've read a fair bit of discussion on coral rock vs "native" sea rock, thoughts or tips?

What corals or sponges etc could I keep in there also. Anemones?

Is it ok legally to collect these creatures providing they arent endangered/threatened and not in marine reserves?

Would I need to collect fresh seawater or could I use RO water with salt added like tropical marine?

Any other tips you can add?

I'd love as much detail as you can throw at me, especially from others who have kept these fascinating creatures!

tbh you are trying for something that is EXTREMELY advanced, I would consider it unrealistic unless you have a huge tank with a huge refugium and the time to provide daily target feeding to each part of the sponges.

sorry to be a downer and I fully hope you do have a go and succeed. but some things are not done for a reason.

Well from what I've read it IS done so why not! Yes I have plenty of time, and as I've mentioned have fairly established aquariums already so I think I'm ready for the challenge! I get a bit frustrated when ppl try to put me off doing things in this hobby, we all started somewhere!

I know I'm going to have to piece it together very slowly, I'm prepared for that :)

Does anyone know if there are any sponges available in the South Island that nudis might eat?

So what sort of size tank minimum do people suggest so I can get an idea of where to start?

i grow a few species of sponges but i also grow 3 types of phyto plankton to feed them with

cold is same as tropical just takes 2 or 3 times longer to cycle

you will need a very mature system to grow your sponges in

warty sea slugs are general grazers and do well in a tank

local rock is good for decorating but coral rock will be needed to support your bacteria

you can get away with T5's or LED's for growing our local plants

http://naturenz.wix.com/nzmarinekeepers ... grams/cee5

I get a bit frustrated when ppl try to put me off doing things in this hobby, we all started somewhere!
no one is trying to put you off ,just trying to explain how difficult replicating a natural ecosystem is in an aquarium.Take your time and research each species you plan on keeping and you will be sweet.You will find the nudis on the sponges they feed on, bit cold down your way to be snorkeling this time of year tho.

Sorry dude, I seem to have misunderstood the tone :) I was already aware this wasnt going to be simple or fast ;P

I have been researching as much as possible but sometimes its not possible to find the info you need without asking such as how much sponge will one wee nudi eat and how fast will it grow?

Hehe yeah I'm not planning to collect here as clown doris aren't found here and therefore I'm assuming their foodsource isn't either? Or maybe its just too cold for them here :) I will collect anems and rockpool inhabs, sand, seawater and rocks etc though. Although a snorkelling trip to the NI sounds tempting for the summer!

nah its all good, we are very iffy on here about people doing this sort of thing as there is a lot of people with the "ooh thats pretty, lets keep it" attitude.

You seem knowledgeable and committed so we are all keen to see you have a go :spop:

is there any interesting nudi's down there? might be a good idea to have a natural supply of food if there is any equipment failures etc....

p.s. is there any laws regarding the transport of marine animals across the islands like there is in freshwater???

From what I've read so far there doesn't seem to be no, but don't quote me on that, the lawspeak can be hard to unravel!

The majority of the cool coloured nudis seem to be mostly just in the North Island. The odd common one can be spotted here but I haven't found much documentation about that. The Otago Uni database is awesome for showing distribution and habitats of various nudis:

http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinestudies/da ... index.html

i.e. my fav the Clown Doris: http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinestudies/da ... index.html

North Island only :(

Even if there are local ones I live pretty far away from any beaches except Birdlings Flat and theres no way I'm snorkelling there! (Its just one massive rip with sharks not far off the shore! Probably too violent surf for sponges I'm guessing)

sea slug forum is no more, sad as it was a good database

this is pretty good too

http://www.starfish.ch/c-invertebrates/ ... odorididae

once you are set up could send some down

what a fantastic site, thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it! Glad to meet some other nudi fans!

That would be absolutely amazing and I'd be happy to reimburse you for "postage" :P