Aqua one canister filter leaking when power is off

willow123

hello people,

I have a aqua one2200 canister filter and every time the electricity gets turned off or I turn it off at the plug to do some cleaning in my tank it leaks.

It leaks around the edges of the filter.

Does this mean I need a new O-ring?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leah

I use food grade silicon lubricant to stop leaks on pumps and filters, others use Vaseline

Thank you, We have had a go at vaseline. currently trying to put it back together now.

Do I put it around the o-ring only or in other places too?

I find it a little strange how its only just started leaking when the power is off and we have had it a good few months up and running on my tank.

The o-ring looks okay. no cracks or anything. or does it just get loose?

would it leak when it was running too if it was in need of a new one?

Try turning the intake off when the power is off and see if it still leaks.

I put little amounts of Vaseline at all the connections to make sure it doesn't leak, and haven't had any problems. Also when I turn the power off I turn both the intake and out flow switch things off, and havn't noticed any leaking on mine.

mine do the same, o'rings are still good but over time i think they compress a little

vaseline works well to rectify problem

but food grade silicon grease is better as long term vaseline can harden the rubber

my units are 7 years old and still going

mine do the same, o'rings are still good but over time i think they compress a little

vaseline works well to rectify problem

but food grade silicon grease is better as long term vaseline can harden the rubber

my units are 7 years old and still going

so yours leak when the power isn't on too?

I am trying Vaseline.

I am a little scared that if the power was to go off in the middle of the night that there would be water all over the floor.

I am still trying to rectify the problem. Its driving me nutty.

Its like a gym workout pumping that pump

so yours leak when the power isn't on too?

I am trying Vaseline.

I am a little scared that if the power was to go off in the middle of the night that there would be water all over the floor.

I am still trying to rectify the problem. Its driving me nutty.

Its like a gym workout pumping that pump

oooh I think we may have cracked it.

So after 3.5 hours of pulling it apart over and over, vaselining everything. spilling various amounts of water around my house, swearing a little and roaring now and again, I think its done!

just incase anyone is on the search of a option to try if it ever happens to them.Here it is.

It was leaking everytime I pumped to get the air out too.

so we got the screwdriver out and pulled it apart again dried and cleaned every little section till they were bone dry, o'ring, top bit of canister at the top so there wasn't a drop of water or Vaseline anywhere. It was the last option to start again from fresh just to see and WALLA.

I am a very happy bunny here

hopefully It will stay that way- fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks for your tips people I am just so happy it is working again :love: :happy1: