Which background should I have - opinions please!

tinytawnykitten

I have decided to install a 3D background in my 4ft Malawi tank. After looking online at the Juwel ones, the Aquaterra ones from Malta and the instructions for making my own one (which is just never going to happen) and I think I will buy the Juwel one. I will need 3 of them, but I don't know which will look best and none of the pet stores in Wellington will order them without me committing to buy them so I can't see them first.

Here is a rough photo of my tank...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49407964@N00/9029352653/

I am choosing between this one

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Product ... pboul2q242

and this one

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Product ... 9spdlk14h4

My substrate is closer in colour to the dark one and I assume it wont show algae as much, but my rocks are closer in colour to the lighter background. My tropheus duboisi would probably disappear altogether into the background if I get the darker one.

AS you can see I am confused!

Tough choice. I made my own out of fibreglass. The problem is paintng it as there are few safe paints to use that will survive underwater.

I'd go with the lighter one myself. The tank is there to see the fish, so what ever one will highlight them the most !

I think the darker one would look better however you may find some of your fish are darker and them being on a darker background will mean you don't see them as much becuase there wont be much contrast between fish and back ground (if that makes any sense). lol so really I am not helping at all because I have suggested both of them.

Your tank and fish looks great BTW :)

Do the Animates stores down there not have any in stock? I have seen them up here.

No pet stores in Wellington have them in stock and non of them are willing to order them just to 'look at'.

Surprisingly Animates have the cheapest price by a long way!

But I have just found out that a friend is a member of Cherry Tree Shopping Club and they sell them for $60 (compared to the most expensive I found - The Pet Centre - $142!).

If you choose a Juwel Background, you will need two. do NOT put them in and attach them in the middle. :sage: I attached mine in the middle and ended up with a massive line in the tank.

Thanks for that info! Also, I think I will need 3 unfortunately! My tank is 126cm wide. Sigh.

I think the darker one would look better however you may find some of your fish are darker and them being on a darker background will mean you don't see them as much becuase there wont be much contrast between fish and back ground (if that makes any sense). lol so really I am not helping at all because I have suggested both of them.

Your tank and fish looks great BTW :)

Thanks Ryan! I think I will go with the darker one as I think either way I am going to have to get them sight unseen and I am really unsure what the colour of the lighter one will look like, plus it will show algae growth a lot more obviously.

i would go the lighter one as over time with algae etc it will darken anyway. I do think either way it will look good but just be sure you understand how it will look when it's in the tank. I have seen them in a tank in a store and the joins were quite obvious and i thought it really let the look down so just make sure you totally understand how it will end up before parting with the cash.

Also, will it cover the entire back wall? what are you doing with the plumbing, heater etc?

i had a 4 ft tank with pieces of slate (charcoal colour) simply siliconed to the back glass panel. i found even in a high-tech set up i never needed to clean it; it just got a little furry algae on it around the edges but you couldn't notice it, i think it actually added to the look. and i way preferred it to just a plain glass back